In need of some advice on moving out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In need of some advice on moving out

oajn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hey, I am looking to move out but i suffer with pretty bad agoraphobia and a very large amount of anxiety. I am 23, Currently living with my parents, the situation is and has been toxic for many years. Living with them is only making my mental health worst and its starting to get very unstable with almost constant suicidal thoughts daily. I do not and haven't had my own space (not trying to blame my parents for this, i understand housing is hard to come by). I share a very small room with my 13 year old brother. I was wondering if its possible to escape this? I really don't feel well enough to share a house with people i don't know ( renting a room ), i feel this would only make my situation worst. I have looked into studio apartments around my area and i'm interested in a few, i understand most, if not all won't take claimant's. The thing i am most worried about is the fact that i am very agoraphobic, i feel as if there is no hope and that i am stuck here. I should also add that i buy my own food and get it delivered. I pay for way more electric/gas then i use ( 7 people live in my parents home ) and most months i am paying almost the full rent of the house. So i feel with all these factors i could sustain myself living alone. I have a good amount of savings and money invested into stocks, enough to pay 6 months rent upfront if needed and i have been building with credit score for years. From what i understand the government could help me with rent per month since i get limited capability for work and work related activity's and the amount of money i get from this is not enough to live on with the private rent prices being so high. I am limiting it to studio apartments with a max rent of 600 per month. I haven't been able to find any information on housing when it comes to agoraphobia. So i am scared that my situation will never improve. I should also add that i am adopted and have no family that i can stay with. 

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I will answer any questions, I wanted to keep the post short and to the point so if there is anything you need more information on please feel free to ask. 


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

    Hello @oajn

    Welcome to the online community, I hope you enjoy being a member and find the community to be a positive outlet for you at this time.


    I’m sorry to read of how living in the current home is making you feel, is there anything in particular that is making it feel so toxic?


    You could try seeking an advocate for your housing situation, find more information here from Mind about advocacy and how it can help. Furthermore, you could try to engage with the council about the possibility of getting on the waiting list for social housing. Shelter may also be able to provide you with advice, see contact details for them here.


    It’s concerning to read that you are experiencing daily suicidal thoughts, have you disclosed this information to anybody else? Is your GP aware of your mental health and how it makes you feel, and are they supporting you to manage it? If you ever feel as though you may act on those feelings and can't keep yourself safe, ensure you contact 999 or your nearest Crisis team so that they can support you. Furthermore, you can contact Samaritans on 116 123, and Shout by texting “Shout” to 85258, if you want to speak with somebody. Additionally, Mind have a page of useful coping techniques that you may find helpfu

    I have sent you an email from [email protected] with further information.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,496 Disability Gamechanger

    People can & do move with agoraphobia.  It's not easy, but it is doable and will depend on your exact limitations.

    The main problem you have financially is that you'll only be allowed the shared rate of housing benefit because of your age.  This varies across the country, but is likely to be around half of the £600 you suggested above.  You'd have add the rest from the UC instead.  If you also got PIP, you would then be allowed the one bedroom rate.

    Also, as you say, landlords and lettings agents generally aren't keen on benefit income.  There's no simple way to check who is or isn't, just have to ask each one individually.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.