How often do DM's go with the assessment report + how long after assessment for decision? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How often do DM's go with the assessment report + how long after assessment for decision?

Options
Danni81
Danni81 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi... My partner has made a claim for pip it started 3rd Feb when he made the call he had his assessment 26th July and he got his report though a few days later. The assessor awarded him point that indicate enhanced on daily living and mobility.
My question is how often does dwp go with the assessment report for the points given and does anyone no if it will take longer then 8 weeks before he hears anything.
I'm just wondering all this as if dwp go against the report then I have to sort things out to have them look at it again nd getting all his medical notes was an issue last time so don't no if I should get them sorted now to be on the safe side. 
Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    One thing to mention is the assessor has not awarded him any points, they have only recommended points. It’s down to the DM to make a decision. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Danni81 and a warm welcome to our community, how are you doing today?

The DWP will look at all the evidence together, including the assessment report, to come to a decision about the outcome of your partner's PIP claim.  It's generally best not to overly-focus on the contents of the assessment report but await the decision letter to identify i) what award has been given, and - if it's not as anticipated ii) the descriptors not satisfied, so you can concentrate on providing evidence to substantiate why they should have been in a mandatory reconsideration.  Here's a link to Citizen's advice outline of PIP activities, points and descriptors to familiarise yourself with those if needed.

It might be the case that further medical evidence/notes are not needed, as often providing 2/3 anecdotal examples of the last time you attempted an activity unreliably suffice, including who was there, where you were, what happened and the consequences.  Note, claimants are assessed as satisfying a descriptor where they show it can't be undertaken reliably; that is safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time.

Put simply, I wouldn't worry too much at this point!  Easier said than done I know, but we are here to support you whatever the outcome and will answer any questions as they crop up.  Due to local variations and delays in the PIP system, we are also unable to offer a reliable time-guide as to when you should hear back from the DWP but fingers crossed it won't be too long.

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread to help others spot what it's about.  Good luck and please keep us posted :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Danni81
    Options
    Thank you both for your reply. Yes I understand its only a recommendation. That's why I'm asking for advice as I want to get things in place if he is turned down for it. It's been so stressful as it is we had to send extra evidence to them as he was diagnosed with more issue that are totally controlling his life and they never got them before the assessment. We mentioned them when he had his assessment and they are written in the report but says no supporting evidence.
    I'm trying to do the best I can for him so he doesn't get to stressed out. Easier said then done.. I just don't get how you have to wait so so long for an assement and then ages for a decision. I can understand how people get there self so worked up with there anxiety. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Danni81 said:
    I'm just wondering all this as if dwp go against the report then I have to sort things out to have them look at it again nd getting all his medical notes was an issue last time so don't no if I should get them sorted now to be on the safe side. 
    Getting more medical notes is not likely to be of any use. PIP is about the impact of health on the ability to do the prescribed activities to the required standard, not about diagnosis.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Danni81
    Options
    I was told they needed the notes to be able to assess him on those conditions. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Danni81 said:
    Is this the DWP that have said that? 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Danni81 said:
    That would be a surprise as already mentioned PIP isn't about "conditions" but how they impact your daily living/ mobility
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.