Anyone else having difficulty finding cover for PA's when off sick? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone else having difficulty finding cover for PA's when off sick?

Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
Hi All,
I wondered if any people on this forum is experiencing the same problem at some time, with finding cover when your PA is suddenly taken sick. She works for me four days week and isn’t from an agency so when she’s off I can’t get a replacement. 
Any advice would be greatly welcome.
Thank you,

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Rifi7

Thanks for your question and I can imagine how challenging it is being left unexpectedly short.  Have you been able to manage ok?

Disability Rights UK advise planning back-up for emergency situations like this, saying:
    Use your contingency budget (agreed previously in your care and support plan) when an emergency arises. You are advised to make back-up plans to have alternative arrangements when your regular PA’s are off sick or on holiday in order to ensure continuity of care provision so that you don’t find yourself without care at any given moment when you need adequate support. You may wish to get in touch with a local agency in this situation. 

Alternatively you could have another cover PA or a family member or a friend whom you have made arrangements with to be available when called in to assist you at short notice in these emergency circumstances.
    Would it be possible to contact a local agency or have a cover PA, family member/friend to step in?

While, Scope have this information page about 'Hiring a PA for care at home' that offers extensive advice on the topic, and this 'Talking to other PA employers webpage' is handy for finding local networks of PA employers to get their suggestions too.

In the mean-time, I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our 'Housing and independent living' category so others can better spot it and offer their thoughts.

Good luck and I hope you're keeping as well as can be.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Not really, I can’t manage on my own. There is no family member or friend I can ask as they all work.  I’m already with two agencies but if my regular PA phones in sick one day I don’t have enough time to get a carer in, as you have to give them at least 24 hours notice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.