Unhappy with PIP decision-says 'condition will be reviewed in 2 years as may improve'-Can I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unhappy with PIP decision-says 'condition will be reviewed in 2 years as may improve'-Can I appeal?

Options
rethgil
rethgil Community member Posts: 4 Listener
PIP decision letter came today, after had submitted the initial form, evidence etc. Previously had PIP but was due for review. Am happy with award level, points etc-but not with notion of having to go through it all again in couple of years. My condition is not likely to improve, and evidence I submitted said so too. I know one can appeal the points awarded-but can I appeal specifically the notion of it being reviewed/viewed as a condition that may improve? (I know all appeals also risk awards being changed for the worse). Would I follow the same appeal process as if it were about the points? How should I word it? Thanks for all thoughts and advice in advance! Btw, condition is long term CPTSD since an infant due to repeated traumatic early life events.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Pleased you got the award and happy with the level of award

Good luck with the mr for a longer period 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    @rethgil Based on @Username_removed's great advice, I currently have an Appeal (at Tribunal) in the pipeline regarding the award duration. 

Being new to benefits/dealing with DWP, I didn't know an Appeal could be submitted  solely on those grounds.  I believed, from what I'd read over the years, they'd stopped telling people with long-term conditions they will *recover* when all medical evidence very strongly indicates otherwise.  

It seems to me silly to spend time repeatedly assessing people who simply won't improve, far less recover, when others are waiting a long time for initial assessments and appropriate reviews where improvement/recovery is a genuine possibility.

It almosts seems as though DWP determine/increase their own workload by unnecessarily reviewing those who don't require it.  

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Girl_No1 said: It seems to me silly to spend time repeatedly assessing people who simply won't improve, 
    It's not only silly. It's distressing for claimants and it costs us all to pay the assessors and DWP staff involved.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    OP it could be that your next review will lead to a longer award.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 576 Pioneering
    Options
    Girl_No1 said: It seems to me silly to spend time repeatedly assessing people who simply won't improve, 

My condition won’t ever improve,  and yet I only received 4 points for mobility! I am now waiting on MR decision, which no doubt will fail for me too.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.