Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Length of Time until an F2F ESA Assessment?

Options
Ebonyuk72
Ebonyuk72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone. My daughter K, has Aspergers and severe anxiety, and I mean SEVERE she can barely leave the house now. She did work for a while but had to resign due to stress and anxiety. She put in a claim for ESA last October, they've told her she needs a face to face assessment, as her paperwork didn't give them enough, how they work that out I don't know but we are now at August and they still haven't given her a date for an assessment, she's on assessment rate but she knows you normally only get that for a year, as her year isn't far off, and her Aspergers means she takes it literally the anxiety its causing her is off the scale. The delay is causing her more anxiety than she was already suffering, and, her issues all go hand in hand so they are never going to get any better, why is a phone assessment not good enough? There is no cure for Autism, god knows I wish there was. She has to call the Gp surgery to get sick notes to send in, that alone is stressful for anyone let alone someone like my daughter. 
How long should she be waiting for a face to face assessment? I know they were suspended but have been back on since May, so that's three months. Will they stop her money after the year is up? I can't stand the stress of it all anymore and I really don't know which way to turn to help her. Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If they have decided she needs f2f assessment then not much you can do.  Have you seen her gp maybe they can send a letter requesting a phone assessment 

She will lose esa after the year if not assessed by the year mark 

She will then be told to apply for uc while waiting for assessment she can then reclaim it if she is put in support group 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    janer1967 said: She will lose esa after the year if not assessed by the year mark. She will then be told to apply for uc while waiting for assessment she can then reclaim it if she is put in support group 
    She shouldn't need to reclaim in those circumstances, the ESA award should simply be reinstated once the assessment decision has been made to put her in Support Group (although it might not be as smooth as that!).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @calcotti sorry worded it wrong dudnt mean reclaim meant like you said reinstated 
  • Ebonyuk72
    Ebonyuk72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Oh hell! She's so stressed and anxious its heartbreaking. Do these people have any idea what we all go through? 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.