Backdate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdate

Options
private_Scoper
private_Scoper Community member Posts: 35 Listener
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could advise me on something please ?
DWP have just told me that I have been awarded the standard rate for pip.
I’ve applied on February and just got told by DWP that my backdate will start from April. 
How can that be as I thought backdate starts from the date you apply from which in my case should of been from February  

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there

Was it a first time claim or a review and if  review was it initiated by you or dwp

If a new claim it should be paid back to the date you applied 
  • private_Scoper
    Options
    Hi Janet,
    it’s a new claim
  • janer1967
    Options
    You need to challenge them then about your back pay 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When did you first become ill and start to have difficulties? If it was in February then your PIP cannot start until 3 months after that.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • private_Scoper
    Options
    I started having difficulties at the beginning of January and applied on February, I also asked the person on the phone when I first applied and he said if I do get awarded then the backdate will start from the date I first applied which is on February 
  • janer1967
    Options
    As above you need to have had the condition for 3 months before pip is awarded so that will be the reason it is being backdated to April and not when you applied 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    private_Scoper said:..I also asked the person on the phone when I first applied and he said if I do get awarded then the backdate will start from the date I first applied which is on February 
    They will not have been aware of all the circumstances and are just call handlers.
    If your problems started in January then it is correct that the PIP can only start in April.
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    You must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where you:
    • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
    • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.