I was at a Disability Union meeting today. What campaign issues would you see as a priority? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was at a Disability Union meeting today. What campaign issues would you see as a priority?

Duninn
Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
Hi folks - I was at a Disability Union meeting today.  We are a new Union and as we build ourselves up we are looking at ideas of campaigning.  We are an increasing group of disabled people working with each other for each other and not politically aligned.  So, what campaign issues would you see as priority? I will use them in any discussions we have now or in the future. 

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Duninn, there are many issues concerning people with disabilities that the Disability Union could campaign about.

One of these issues concerns me greatly because I have encountered it time and time again. It is the fact that many hospitals totally ignore the needs of disabled people and make no provisions whatsoever.
    Last night I spent around six and a half hours in the waiting room of my local hospital's A&E department. The paramedics who brought me in were instructed to take me there and that's where I was left, in my wheelchair the whole time. I was already in a lot of pain and feeling helpless and confined for hours did not help.
    Eventually, I telephoned A&E reception and asked them to find a nurse to take me to the loo.

All the time I was in A&E, not a single member of staff asked me if I was all right, if I needed a blanket, as the room was cold, if I'd like a hot drink or something to eat or needed to use the facilities. If you are mobile you can do these things for yourself. And if you cannot, the hospital should have at least one disability nurse to look out for people who may need assistance.
    Every time I have mentioned this problem to the hospital, they claim to have a disability nurse. I have never seen any evidence of this nor does anyone ever demonstrate any conception of the difficulties disabled people face. 
  • Duninn
    @Oxonlady - that’s horrendous, don’t have PALS?
  • Duninn
    edited August 2021
    @Username_removed - <moderator removed link - promotion of paid for services not allowed on community> I spent time researching who and what they were offering before I committed to joining.  You’ll be able to get more information from the link.  Because Disibility Union is a relatively new organisation we are working with a clear canvas, we are a group of people with a range of disabilities and although some of us have a political interest the Disability Union is not affiliated to any political Party.  
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi@Duninn, as it was the middle of the night, contacting PALS was not an option but to be honest I don't find them very helpful during the day, either.
    At around 5am, I sent an email to the Complaints Department and copied it to the A&E Secretary, asking her to raise the matter with staff in A&E. 

• kirsty80
    kirsty80 Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Issues with Access to Work and D/deaf people not getting full funding for communication support. 
    Interpreters and stenographers only paid for hours worked, when many have a minimum booking fee or 2 hours to half a day.
    So those support workers are consistently getting underpaid because Access to Work will only pay hours worked. Eg. they will pay 1 hour but not 2 hours.
    This means deaf people are struggling to get support because no support worker will work an hourly rate.
    See deaf access to work website for more details
    Would your union make any difference, is the question?
     I don't want to pay out when I could get the same, or better support from a trade union membership.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    £4.99/£12.99 or £21.99 per month but for the two higher payments you get nothing more than if you pay £4.99 that's strange?
    I'm a member of a political party which has 37 MP's and only pay £2.00 a month.
    Sorry but it's not for me.
    I'm not even sure that it's a good idea
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Duninn

I've removed the link to the union in question from your earlier post as advertising of paid for services isn't allowed on the community - please see our house rules.

I appreciate you were gathering views on issues to add to the groups campaign agenda, however we would always recommend our members access free advice with impairment-related problems where/if needed.  

Good luck with your future campaigning and discussions.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I am already with a union and have found it helpful in work issues and the political campaigns are good as well 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.