If I refuse consent for DWP to contact professionals, does this include my daughter's school? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I refuse consent for DWP to contact professionals, does this include my daughter's school?

ennazus43
ennazus43 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just completing my daughters dla claim. Does anyone know if I refuse consent for DWP to contact professionals whether this includes her school? I have lots of supporting evidence from everyone named on the form and her school senco has completed the "person who knows the child" section. I just don't want them contacting school and getting a response from her class teacher or the Head that undermines everything (I've heard of this happening and I don't want to give them the chance to turn us down). But I'm not sure if I don't consent whether it includes school too? Please help!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    @ennazus43 hi and welcome to scope, would it not be an idea to talk to her teacher and the head? Just because you have heard of it happening doesn't mean that it will happen.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ennazus43
    @woodbine Not that easy, both the head and her new class teacher in September will be new to the school so they won't know her at all, and I have no idea how responsive they'll be to supporting her claim because I haven't met them yet. I know I'm probably being paranoid but just trying to head off problems in advance, it what I've learned do, lol. Do you know if it prevents them contacting school if I don't consent?
  • ennazus43
    @Username_removed thanks so much that's ŕeally helpful. Yes, I did my research before filling out the form and I've given practical examples and then compared these to the needs of 'most' or 'average' children her age. Also got the senco to read some guidance before writing the statement so it focuses on the additional help she needs compared to other children and highlights areas like toileting, moving around safely, additional support to communicate etc, so its pretty strong I'd say, but obviously nothing guarantees it. Have to disagree that they almost never contact schools though, I work in a school and we frequently get requests. And they are frequently poorly dealt with (not by me I hasten to add). Also had loads of other parents tell me their school was contacted too.
  • Susanannr52
    Susanannr52 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Don’t forget if and I do mean if your claim gets turned down please appeal as most cases that go through with an appeal gets awarded, they seem to put you through the ‘hoops’ just to see if your claim is a genuine one
    Did you know that your local C.A.B. can help with filling out DLA and PIP Forms
  • ennazus43
    Thanks everyone for your responses, they are really helpful. Thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.