What sensory equipment have you found to be most beneficial? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What sensory equipment have you found to be most beneficial?

Options
sjsportandrec
sjsportandrec Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone,

I am a coach, starting SEND sport sessions where a large area of the space will be a 'sensory zone'. For this, I am looking to purchase sensory equipment such as tents/ lights/ weighted items / fidget items ect but was wondering which items you find the most beneficial.

I would love to have some information about what is preferred, whether it be better have more lighting or weighted items or whether you'd say more option causes more issues?

The sessions will be for children aged between 6 and 16 but I will also be running adult sessions.

Please share any and all experiences with me so that I can create the best possible session!

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @sjsportandrec

Great to hear that you are trying to make your sessions as accessible as possible. I think the best first step will be for you to get to know your coachees and their needs as they will likely require different sensory resources due to their different needs and ages. For example, some people with autism who are under-sensitive to touch could find weighted items beneficial but weighted items could be less appropriate for some people with autism who are over-sensitive to touch ( https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/sensory-differences/sensory-differences/all-audiences ). You can find out more information about person-centred practice in the SEND Code of Practice (2015) (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398815/SEND_Code_of_Practice_January_2015.pdf). I hope this helps! Do any of our community members have any thoughts or strategies they have found beneficial? 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • tora_b
    tora_b Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I've never really had my autism accounted for in group situations (mainly due to late diagnosis and complications from that) but the most important thing for me has been the ability (both technically and in a socially acceptable way) to get away from seeing and hearing (and being seen by) a group when I'm starting to get overwhelmed - and if I can, that can allow me to rejoin the group where I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. So, though I don't have specific 'equipment' that I can recommend personally, the ability to 'get away' from the stimulation of the group, whether visual, auditory or otherwise, is one thing to consider.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tora_b

Thanks for your insightful response. Your lived experience is really helpful in understanding the importance of being able to remove yourself from sensory stimuli while it is overwhelming. Which approaches have supported you to do this @tora_b:)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.