Hi, I'm shaunwilliam33! Would I get help moving L.A. property + needing additional rooms for carer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm shaunwilliam33! Would I get help moving L.A. property + needing additional rooms for carer?

shaunwilliam33 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm hoping someone may have an answering or point me in the right direction to obtain the information I need. I am a 46 year disabled wheelchair user, my spinal cord was severed due to a RTA in 1999. I'm in the process of getting a divorce from my wife and we have a daughter, we currently live in a housing association property and the tenancy is in my name only as my wife moved in with me, she is applying for a transference of tenant siting that my daughters needs are more important than mine, I'm not contesting her application as long as I'm not left without, the housing association won't allow for the tenancy to be transferred as its an adapted property so she is going through the courts, my question is I have a carer and my wife use to provide care at nights when I needed it we live in a two bedroom flat so no room for a carer to stay over, however I'm going to need this support when we fully separate, i would like to have my daughter stay with me a couple of times a week and i was wondering what help would I get property wise as I would need for a carer to stay over to help with personal care also I would like to have e daughters stay also she is nearly 3 years old, I hope my question/message is clear.


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    Would it not be better for your wife to get alternative accommodation 

    I understand your daughter is a priority but as you are in an adopted property that suits your physical needs it will be hard for you to find alternative 

    Where your wife could find a non adapted property more easily 

    Sorry if I am speaking out of turn but it is based on infi you have given 

    With regards to help speak to your housing association if no joy maybe contact cab or shelter who may be able to advise 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hi @shaunwilliam33 I'm sorry to hear you're in a difficult situation.  

    I'd recommend contacting the team at Shelter who specialise in housing to discuss the details of your circumstances some more and get their professional input.  Shelter have various contact methods including a free helpline and web chat.

    Just to let you know, I've amended the title of your thread to reflect your question and make it more visible to those who might have been through similar.  I've also moved it to our housing and independent living category.  

    I hope you get on ok, please keep us updated and remember we're here if you ever want to talk some more about anything.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I would offer the courts the option that you are willing to cede tenancy of your current property to your wife as yes your daughter's needs are important and it is the only home she has ever known but in return, you need a 3-bed property that fits your needs as you need a bedroom, you need a room for a carer as you require 24/7 care and the law states that the overnight carer has to have their own room and you need a room for your daughter to stay in as you are applying for joint custody (I presume there is no reason why you are not able to have your daughter)

    I would also get a fresh assessment of need from both OT and social services on the basis you are a single parent not part of a couple


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.