Police didn't accommodate my disabled grandson's needs. Recommendations for a good solicitor? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Police didn't accommodate my disabled grandson's needs. Recommendations for a good solicitor?

Ozymandias Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am supporting my grandson who has been diagnosed with ASD, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and quite possibly has Pathological  Demand Avoidance Syndrome.
He has recently been accused by traffic police of using a hand held phone whilst driving. He has bluetooth hands free fitted so has no need  to hold a phone.. The officers ignored his  requests to slow down what they were saying as he didn.t understand. They shouted at him and invaded his space for no reason. They wouldn't listen to his friend nor speak to his mum on the phone as an appropriate adult. Does anyone know of a good solicitor who is likely to know the issues? The court will probably be Southend.
anyone with   PDA info  please contact! 


  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hello @Ozymandias

    I'm sorry to hear your grandson had such a poor experience with the traffic police.  How is he now?

    I'd recommend visiting The Law Society website's database of legal professionals to find a solicitor local to your area.

    Just to let you know, I amended the title of your thread to help make your question more visible to anyone reading who may have been through similar and have advice.

    Take care and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Citizens advice could give you a list of suitable solicitors to help your grandson in your local area ? 
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 276 Pioneering
    Hello @Ozymandias

    I am very sorry to hear of your grandson's difficulties with the Police. 

    I realise this will not help your situation as it is right now, but I would recommend (if he is willing to carry one) that your grandson gets hold of a 'Autism Alert Card' this card should be recognised by all of the emergency services and may help in the future if your grandson has to explain his situation or ask for help.
    The National Autistic Society can give more information regarding these cards. 

    Best Wishes and I hope you get the right outcomes for your grandson.

  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,477 Disability Gamechanger
    from the R.A.C:

    "The police still have the power to stop you if they believe you have been distracted by using a mobile phone while driving, even if it’s fully hands-free.

    Some road safety groups believe mobile phones should be completely switched off while driving, to avoid any distractions. "

    That said we only have one second hand account of what happened on the occasion in the OP.

    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    On reading it again maybe you should put a complaint into the police about how they handled the situation and how they treated your grandson 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.