I've been receiving AA since 2019. Is this the same as DLA? Can we claim reduced rate of RFT? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I've been receiving AA since 2019. Is this the same as DLA? Can we claim reduced rate of RFT?

Janisthomas
Janisthomas Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been receiving Attendance Allowance Of £87.65  since June 2019.I am confused as to wether this is the same as Disability Living Allowance, as I have changed our car ,although I can't drive any longer, my husband is my designated driver. Can I claim for reduced rate of Road Fund Tax ??????????

Comments

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Yes, AA is the equivalent of DLA/PIP for people who have reached the government-stated retirement age (for their birth year).

I do not know about the road tax but if you feel that the award is wrong or that you have got worse since applying you can fill in a new form and ask to be reassessed (but as with all reassessments you can get less as well as more)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA (now PIP) are disability benefits that can be claimed by working age people. For those awarded them prior to reaching pension they can continue to receive.

For those claiming for the first time after reaching pension age they have to claim AA.

Unlike PIP and a DLA, AA has no mobility component. You cannot get a road tax reduction as an AA claimant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,773 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, AA is the equivalent of DLA/PIP for people who have reached the government-stated retirement age (for their birth year).

I do not know about the road tax but if you feel that the award is wrong or that you have got worse since applying you can fill in a new form and ask to be reassessed (but as with all reassessments you can get less as well as more)
    AA differs in a number of ways from PIP  and the OP is getting the highest rate of AA so it would be pointless trying to get re-assessed
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,682 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Janisthomas :) Have the above replies helped? Please let us know if you have any further questions. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.