PAs / Carers not being COVID19 Vaccinated — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PAs / Carers not being COVID19 Vaccinated

Options
peteofherts
peteofherts Scope Member Posts: 16 Connected
Last week I had to let one PA go because they did not want to be COVID19 vaccinated; at interview 9 weeks ago they had said would be getting vaccinated.  I turned to one of my 'emergency carers' whom I had not used before.  They agreed to cover shifts.  They contracted COVID last Christmas........but admitted they did not have, and will not be getting, vaccinated. 

Both are very intelligent and caring in nature.  I am baffled.  I find it totally contradictory to be in the Care Profession and refuse the vaccination.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Not experienced it myself but I know I'd be very concerned if I was in that situation.

It's a difficult one as one can't be forced to have a vaccine but I wouldn't want to have to take the chance with someone who has refused.

I hope you have better luck in future and maybe a PA losing out on work may think it worth reconsidering their stance.

Have to say the cynic in me thinks she may have had no intention of getting the jab and was hoping you'd let it go....stick to your guns! Lol
  • peteofherts
    Options
    @Cress I think she really wanted to stay on tbf.  She asked what she could do to mitigate the risk to me, and said she would have done anything to retain the job.......except get jabbed.  Of course, the decision was in her hands as, like you say, I have no intention, nor ability, to make her get vaxed.

But, she goes sits with an 'old lady' twice a week as a 'companion' on a voluntary basis.

In my opinion, the vaccination is about protecting others as much as oneself.  I hope, at the very least, by leaving me she will think about that lady.
  • Cress
    Options
    The cynic in me again....
    Thinks it would be more likely a dent in her wage would be the most likely incentive for her.
    But it is a worry, especially with the elderly possibly affected.

I am very cynical...I apologise, I'm sure the last thing in the world she'd want is to be the cause of any spread of infection to her clients including the elderly lady.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    from the government and public health, this is legally enforceable people in the care sector can be sacked after 11th November for not being vaccinated - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vaccination-of-people-working-or-deployed-in-care-homes-operational-guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-of-people-working-or-deployed-in-care-homes-operational-guidance#the-policy

Key dates to bear in mind are:

• 22 July (this is when the grace period starts)
    • 16 September (last date for care home workers to get their first dose so they are fully vaccinated by the time the regulations come into force)
    • 11 November (regulations come into force)

The policy

Summary of the regulations

The regulations require that all CQC-registered service providers (or registered managers) of accommodation for those who require nursing or personal care in a care home must ensure that a person does not enter the care home unless:

• the person resides in the care home used by the registered person (a resident) – ‘registered person’ means person registered with the CQC as a manager or service provider in respect of a regulated activity – in this case, the regulated activity for the provision of accommodation for persons requiring nursing or personal care
    • the person has provided the registered person (or those acting on behalf of the registered person) with satisfactory evidence that:
      • they have been vaccinated with the complete course of an authorised vaccine (the individual can prove they are fully vaccinated)
      • they, for clinical reasons, should not be vaccinated (the individual is exempt for medical reasons) – further detail below
    • it is reasonably necessary for the person to provide emergency assistance in the care home (further detail below)
    • it is reasonably necessary for the person to provide urgent maintenance assistance to the care home (further detail below)
    • the person is a member of the emergency services in execution of their duties (further detail below)
    • the person is a friend or relative of the resident visiting the resident (further detail below – this also includes unpaid carers or designated essential care givers)
    • the person is visiting a resident who is dying (further detail below)
    • it is reasonably necessary for the person to provide comfort or support to a resident in relation to a resident’s bereavement following the death of a relative or friend (further detail below)
    • the person is under the age of 18 (further detail below)

The vaccination requirement only applies to people who go inside a care setting (the definition of ‘care home’ does not include any surrounding grounds). As long as someone is not entering the building, they would not need to show vaccination status.

--------------------------

I have found no information that says the rules are not the same for "in-home carers or PA's in the client home" not in care home settings

• Cress
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I've read (but can't link to)
    That care workers working in clients homes won't be forced to have a jab unlike 'care home' workers..

It was from www.homecare.uk
    A newsletter
  • peteofherts
    Options
    Unbelievable.  Private care settings are not covered.  On a personal note I'm not worried now as my 2 current PAs are double-vaxed.  It's just a pain having to go through the recruitment process again!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.