My work coach keeps ringing me. Can I ask her so stop calling me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My work coach keeps ringing me. Can I ask her so stop calling me?

neilod
neilod Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I lost my job during the first lockdown.. I claimed Universal Credit for 12 months,,, I have lately had to go onto sickness benefit as I'm suffering from serious depression.. My work coach is still ringing me regularly and hassling me about seeking therapy. I am only 6 weeks into my medication and not yet ready to be seeing people face to face.. Can I ask her to stop ringing me until I'm feeling better?... Many Thanks 

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to say there can be quite long wait times for therapy so you could see if you could get a referral and maybe by the time they can see you you'll be in a better place and able to engage.which might appease UC.
    Good luck and Welcome to the community!
  • neilod
    Hi and thanks. I intend to have therapy, it's just that it's too soon. I will  try to get a referral soon. Many Thanks
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Have you reported the medical condition on your journal and providing fit note 

If so after 28th day your work coach should refer you for the work capability assessment 

Your work coach can turn off your work commitments but during this time until you have been assessed for your work capability your coach will still have to keep in touch 

They can arrange to just contact you every month or something 

Unfortunately these are the condition and commitments you agree to when claiming uc 

Some work coaches are more lenient than others you can request to change if your not happy 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Yeah @janer1967
    When I applied for uc I declared health problem and my coach initially wanted me to commit to five hours a week for prep for work searching....after my reaction he told me not to worry I wouldn't have to do anything other then sign in and provide fit notes, also I was assigned someone else who just rang me once a month to see how I was and check I had support untill I was recently placed in the LCWRA group on what must have been a paper based assessment as I wasn't called to attend a ftf or phone assessment.

I would say I was treated with kindness and understanding throughout the process.
  • neilod
    Hi, many thanks for all your welcomes and comments. I have another phone chat tomorrow with my work coach. I will try to explain to her that I am feeling a bit pressurised from her. I have blood tests and an MRI Scan on Friday. I am awaiting a letter of assessment being sent out. If I am not happy with her response tomorrow I may request a new work coach. Many Thanks. 
  • mjh2222
    mjh2222 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Your work coach has crossed bounderies.  None of their business IE your therapy.  Tell them to stop calling.
  • neilod
    Many Thanks,, I have been finding her quite aggressive. I am on anti depressants,,, I have recently suffered a bereavement and I have Torn Tendons in my shoulder that require an operation.. I was working upto the Lockdown last March. I will tell her how I am feeling and ask if she can stop calling so frequently. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    If you haven't yet been assessed with the work capability assessment then turning of your work commitments is the discretion of your work coach. Some turn them off completely, while others will just reduce them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • neilod
    Hi Poppy,,, I haven't been assessed yet. I only got back onto anti depressants on the 9th of July. Many Thanks. 
  • idontlikeliving
    idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
    I’ve had a work coach like this and I had to tell her straight to back off. But this was when the job centre was open and when I was there I spoke to a different person who worked there and just walked past me and I said look I can’t cope with her. If it was to happen now I would leave a journal note asking to speak with the manager and ask for a call back from them. Pressuring someone to seek therapy does more than good. I know this because it sent me into a melt down. You will only do it when you are ready…. It takes someone who has anxiety and depression a lot to open up. The first step is the hardest but still… it’s up to you when you should make that move. Just say you are making me more ill with the pressure. I can’t cope with it. 
  • idontlikeliving
    idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
    My temporary work coach is actually now a manager what goes from job centre to job centre. She’s pretty high up. But because I built a relationship with her, I only can properly talk to her. So it’s only her who deals with me because I’m odd with people I don’t know. Just really open up if you can, not into depth but so they know xx
  • neilod
    Many thanks for all the advice,, great to now that people understand. Thanks so much. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.