My son has multiple conditions and would need support at college/apprenticeship. Where to start? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has multiple conditions and would need support at college/apprenticeship. Where to start?

Options
Mumov09
Mumov09 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2021 in Education
My son is 15, homeschooled as secondary school failed him he has has ADHD, GDD, LEARNING DIFFICULTIES, PERMENANT HEARING LOSS (wears hearing aids) NO VISION IN ONE EYE he is wanting to get a job apprenticeship or go on a college course but would need to be supported employment or course with SEN as he homeschooled don't know where to start with all additional needs he's got and the help he ll need he is easily taken for granted and would do anything anyone asked him to because he thinks there friends because he has no sign or knowledge of dangerous situations EG let's get on a train to Leeds he'd go wouldn't think about it or LONDON that's why he doesn't go out he always with a adult where from leeds/Wakefield area any tips on where I start and who could help me as Cahms have been no helpthank you. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mumov09 :) Welcome to the community! I'm sure it must feel a bit overwhelming at this stage, but it's good that you're thinking about it early. 

Have you been in touch with any local colleges or apprenticeship providers to see what support they'd be able to offer him? 

Colleges should have support in place for disabled students, and may have a SEN department you could have a chat with. 

Have you ever heard of reasonable adjustments? Your son could get reasonable adjustments at work, including during an apprenticeship, that should enable him to be successful in the workplace. You may find the following links helpful: 
    Does he know what kind of course or apprenticeship he might like to try? 

Additionally, when he turns 16, he may be interested in having a look at our Career Pathways service for young people aged 16-25
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Hey!

I did went to sixth form, university and completed an apprenticeship. I can honestly say, out of all 3, I found that the apprenticeship was the best one, in regards to support and the understanding of my disability.

I would advise to always mention your son's disabilities on the application form, this way the company are aware of them beforehand. Also, most employees, are entitled to give a candidate (who has a disability) an interview, as long as they meet the minimum requirements of the job role. I have read that your son has a a number of disabilities, and there is no problem with this and it shouldn't be an issue in the working world. However, I would say, just mention the disabilities which will impact him most.

If your son needs reasonable adjustments made in the interview, make sure to mention this at the earliest stage. Maybe he needs 1 to 1, a laptop, accessible location, etc...mention anything which you think will benefit your son and give him the best possible chance of success.

I am 24 years old now and something I have learnt through applying for jobs, being a professional in the work world and just in general is the following; companies don't like it when parents get involved too much - of course you know what is best for him (as his mother) and you are more than able to support him from home, but try to encourage your son to be as independent as possible when it comes to the process. This is impressive to the company.

Finally, remember if a company is not willing to take the time to listen, understand and respect your sons disabilities, then they are not worth the time of effort. At the end of the day, your son wants to be a part of a company where he feels valued, respected and most of all, happy.

May I suggest, as it sounds your son has not had much experience of independence just yet and still gets 'taken in easily', as I also used to - it may be a good idea for him to attend college/sixth form first, and then do an apprenticeship. This will enable him to 'find his feet' gradually and work his way up to full independence, or to a stage where he is 100% comfortable and fits into the 'working world'

(p.s. top tip - keep a copy of what you write in response to the questions asked on application forms, as most companies ask the same/similar questions. This way you will be able to just edit and adapt the answers to suit the different companies. It saves so much time, in the long-term - I have all my applications (I have ever sent) on word documents)

I hope this helps and best of luck to you and your son in any future career steps!?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.