Local kids wreck my back gate every day. Are they allowed to do this? What are my rights? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Local kids wreck my back gate every day. Are they allowed to do this? What are my rights?

Options
rainy19
rainy19 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’ve got osteoporosis in my spine . Which caused a lot of damage to be diagnosed. My back is very painful and fragile. I don’t advertise it or tell anyone. 
I’ve lived in my rented house for near ten years and for some reason kids have wrecked my back gate . That’s on the side of my house. First playing football and now just booting it off it’s hinges and now it’s propped up with bins behind it . The teens won’t stop till it’s completely kicked down into my back yard . A group of 2 girls and 3 boys do it  every day . Sometimes a few times a day .  The gang go to a house up my street but I don’t know exactly which house or which teen lives there . Are kids allowed to do this ? How do I stop this ? What’s my rights ? 

Comments

• Katharine_Alumni
    Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi there @rainy19 and welcome!
    No, they are not allowed to do this as they are damaging your property. If you know their parents, you could try talking to them? Or you could maybe report this to the community police who could have a chat with young people/them and let them know that they could get into trouble for this. Or they could post notes through doors in the neighbourhood and give some general advice? If you can get descriptions of them that might help them. If you know their school, maybe when they go back and are wearing uniform, you could contact them> Otherwise to be honest you do not need to stand for this and have every right to ask them not to. Have you been able to speak to them at all? Most importantly, do whatever you can that protects you and keeps you safe.

Thanks so much for sharing and I am so sorry to hear this has been happening for you at the moment.
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @rainy19

If they live in social housing you could put in a complaint.
    Councils and housing associations usually have a policy on anti social behaviour. 

Or just put in a complaint to your council...

Keep a record of when this happens each time and film from your mobile if you don't feel safe to approach them yourself.

In fact I would say definitely don't approach them yourself.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry this is happening to you and you don't need to put up with it 

Keep yourself safe and don't try and aggravate the situation 

Contact council anti social behaviour service or the police 
  • Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @rainy19   I have added a website that you could consider looking into, if you have not yet gone down that route.

asbhelp.co.uk

Kind regards
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options
    Please report them to the none emergency police number so it can be logged and speak to your landlord/council about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.