No change to my ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No change to my ESA

Options
teddyjohn89
teddyjohn89 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hello so after yet another phone call to esa and universal credit esa have told me that i wont be receiving any pay rise from them so i guess that if UC carry out the work capability assessment then esa stays the same on a previous post a lady told me that i would go in the support group on esa. But apparently not. Also i have done the 90day waiting time on UC and it will be 60+ days next month does this mean i will be paid two months on the new lcwra allowance? Thank you 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @teddyjohn89

I hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know that I have marked your post as unanswered and I hope you receive a response soon :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What you were told during the phone call regarding your ESA is not correct. It's worth remembering that when yuou ring DWP you're talking to a call centre, rather than someone from DWP itself and they usually have very limited knowledge.

The advice you've had on your previous thread is correct. As you've been placed into the LCWRA group for UC this also means you'll be placed into the Support Group for ESA.

The LCWRA element for UC is paid from the 4th month of your claim from when you reported your health condition. There's a 3 full month waiting period, rather than 90 days like you said. When it's paid from will depend on your AP dates and when you reported the health condition.

You will also receive £114.10 per week for your ESA which will be deducted in full from your UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 i was hoping you would comment as you seem to know your stuff. The lady from the other phone call said its from the 6th of april and my esa would be backed to this date it seems when i ring up they all have different answers so thank you for the information. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. For ESA there's a 13 week assessment period (waiting) then the extra money is paid from the 14th week of your claim. If you're owed back dated money from both ESA and UC then what is likely to happen is you will receive money from both and then you will have an overpayment for UC, which you'll need to pay back. I realise it's a strange way of doing it but it happens all the time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 i will keep you updated much appreciated 
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    @poppy123456 update i received some backdated esa so im guessing im in the support group now :) also will my payment days stay the same or change to a different day. Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Good news, thanks for the update. Your payment days for ESA will remain the same. If you receive backdated money from UC as well then you will have an overpayment which will need to be repaid back. For future payments of UC then your ESA will be deducted in full. There's no financial gain to claiming both together.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    @poppy123456 yes i understand that sound's crazy that i have to pay back to uc i know you posted about it before also is it much that i will pay back  do you know please 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's becausze they don't communicate with each other. Yes, i know it makes no sense. I have no idea how much it will be because i don't know all the information (dates ect).
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    Ok no problem thank you for your information you have already given much appreciated
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    Hello @poppy123456 i have checked my UC payment the lcwra has been added but i can't seem to find the backdated money i am owed does this not show up on my payments? Thank you 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any arrears due will be made as a separate payment but DWP first have to calculate the amount involved.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    @calcotti ok thank you for this i was i think its around 40+ days i got backdated esa quickly im guessing the dwp are much slower 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @calcotti ok thank you for this i was i think its around 40+ days i got backdated esa quickly im guessing the dwp are much slower 
    ESA is also DWP. You can post a note in your journal chasing it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • teddyjohn89
    Options
    Ok no problem thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.