Help with pip. I have anxiety and panic attacks, as well as long covid. Can I apply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with pip. I have anxiety and panic attacks, as well as long covid. Can I apply for PIP?

Options
charl1980
charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I struggle with mental health bad ,have long covid but work part time , I feel safe going to work as it's a safe place in my head but struggle with supermarket, outings and even visiting certain family members, hospital and doctors appointment really bad ,don't drive or use public transportation due to panick attacks and anxiety, I have problems washing my hair due to shoulder displacement months ago and I struggle with continence control use pads when at work home and am on medication for bladder control, I get lcw but manage to work afew shifts a week,when planning a journey I get to work but getting to shops, hospital etc etc causes great ansiety and I struggle on my own, would pip argue I can get to work???? It's when I'm in a state and have to get to a hospital app or medical appointment my head goes into a tizz do I sound like I could apply for pip , people telling me to but I'm anxious about doing so even?

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    The decision is yours to make. PIP is not about any condition or diagnosis. If you feel your impacted on a day to day basis in relation to the PIP descriptors then you may be entitled. You also need to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for applying. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @charl1980, hello and welcome, may I recommend you visit the online site Benefits and Works and take the online PIP test and see how you fair. By taking the test snd being honest with your answers will help you decide if you should make a claim for PIP. Remember the answers given in your application form will have to be justified at your assessment. PIP is not awarded on a disability or diagnosis or the amount of prescription medications your prescribed. PIP is awarded on your inabilities to cope or manage the PIP descriptors safely and repeatedly and in a timely manner.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never personally rated the PIP self test for the simple reason being,  very few people understand the PIP descriptors so it's very easy to either under score and even over score yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charl1980 - if you're considering applying for PIP you may find the following website about applying with mental health problems helpful. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/pip-resources/personal-independence-payment-pip-contact-numbers/
    With PIP, it doesn't matter if you work or not (unless this would contradict why you're claiming), so altho you can get to work, you have obvious difficulty going out in other situations such as for shopping & medical appointments. All you can do is say as you have here about the difficulty you face, & why.
    Many people with similar problems to yourself get PIP, but the decision to apply should be yours, & not what others think.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.