Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Moving to annex
Hi, I am in the process of selling my house and buying jointly with my daughter a house with an annex. I will be living in the annex part (this has a bedroom, small kitchenette and wet room). Several questions on this as follow:
Will the council charge for two council tax as it is two dwellings (house with the annex?)
When I inform ESA and PIP of change of address is this likely to cause a full benefits review?
Can I still claim the warm homes discount?
It is my understanding that my benefit entitlements will remain unchanged as I will be living in an annex as an independent single person. There will be a small amount of money left over from house sale and after all solicitor/estate agent fees are paid. This money will be spent on changing/renovating an existing small brick shed into a living room. I understand that I have 26 weeks to reduce this excess from house sale monies and provided it is used to improve the living accommodation, will not affect my benefit entitlements.
Apologies for the long blog but hopefully someone who has been through similar can advise me and if so, many thanks.
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.5K Coffee lounge
- 32 Games room
- 422 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 209 Community updates
- 9.1K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 784 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 609 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 756 Transport and travel
- 30.3K Talk about money
- 4.2K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 854 Chronic pain and pain management
- 156 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 815 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions