Hi, I'm JoJack! I am supporting a person who has been an electric wheelchair user for over 15 years — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm JoJack! I am supporting a person who has been an electric wheelchair user for over 15 years

Options
JoJack
JoJack Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am supporting a person who has been an electric wheelchair user for over 15 years. He has been assessed as no longer needing an electric wheelchair supplied by the NHS. He has been signposted to make an Individual Funding Request to the local Clinical Commissioning Group who may be able to fund an electric chair. Does anybody have experience of making an application who could help in putting forward his case. There have been no changes in his condition over the 15+ years that explains the withdrawal of funding by the NHS. We would be extremely grateful of any help/advice/signposting that people could give.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hello @joejack

Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear of the situation the person you know has been made to go through, hopefully you are able to receive some support / advice.

We won't be able to help with putting together the case, but members are more than welcome to provide their experience and insight, as well as any tips of how to go about doing it. Have you considered seeking some support through somewhere like Advice Local?

Just to let you know, I have moved your discussion to our disability aids and equipment category.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • WPM
    WPM Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    @JoJack
    Have you been given an application form to fill in or just contact details for the CCG?
    I dont know about forms but you could email your request to the CCGs as it then becomes easy for them to forward to the relevant person and easy for you to track. 

In the email you could mention how the medical condition affects the wheelchair user,
    - physical ability on a day to day basis , health issues, pain etc
    - mentally/psycologicaly
    - socially: how much help and support does he receive to manage his disbability on a daily/weekly basis, dificulties in accessing commnity, frinds, family, health appointments etc
    - economically: ability to earn, can he afford the price of eletric wheelchair which can be as expensive as buying a car!

Stick to the facts related to the wheelchair but dont heistate to paint an emmotional picture. 
    CCGs may get in touch with the wheelchair service to find out why he has been refused a wheelchair and some other infromation but what you write in the email forms the base on which they make their decision so dont hold anything back . 

It could be weeks before you hear back from them so chase every 2 weeks or so i would say. 

Lastly, dont pin all your hope on the CCGs and check if you can get any help from charities for buying a wheelchair and its future repais and maintainence. 

All the very best :) 

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    How is your local authority equipment service for disabled people administered? I know this is different in various areas. In my area it is jointly funded by Social Care and CCG. I have no experience of wheelchairs being funded through NHS and no idea how they should work together. I would speak to Social Care. Did the NHS say why you can no longer bet a wheelchair through NHS?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.