New electric wheelchair needed. Any suggestions? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New electric wheelchair needed. Any suggestions?

Durhamjaide
Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
I’m looking for a new  lightweight electric wheelchair for both indoors  and outdoors any suggestions of companies that sell them, wheelchairs it’s self and grants to help put towards it.

Comments

• abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Are you on pip enhanced mobility? If so youbcould get one on tye motability scheme 
  • Durhamjaide
    abbyk41 said:
    Are you on pip enhanced mobility? If so youbcould get one on tye motability scheme 
    Yes I am thanks 
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    You have to be very careful about using your allowance to fund the chair, My experience is that the repayment schemes are very expensive and the one-off cost of a new chair could well be a lot less than the interest you will be paying on what is in effect a high-interest loan repayment scheme 
  • WPM
    WPM Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    @Durhamjaide Will the wheelchair need lifting in and out of a boot of a car is that why you need a light weight chair. 

lightweight electric wheelchairs are not always sturdy for outdoor uneven terrain use so please be careful when you choose. 

Repairs can cost a fortune as spares come at extortionate prices. 

Have you considered NHS electric wheelchair which can take months but are free + free repairs maintenance + replacement?
    referral is via GP/physio/OT/ nurse. 
    If you need indoors and outdoors then you should meet NHS criteria. 

Invacare Ltd
    sunrise medical
    ottobock Ltd
    do sturdy wheelchairs. 
    Please ask dealer to try at home before you buy. 

Hope this was of some help. 

Sorry can’t help you about grants. 

• Durhamjaide
    WPM said:
    @Durhamjaide Will the wheelchair need lifting in and out of a boot of a car is that why you need a light weight chair. 

lightweight electric wheelchairs are not always sturdy for outdoor uneven terrain use so please be careful when you choose. 

Repairs can cost a fortune as spares come at extortionate prices. 

Have you considered NHS electric wheelchair which can take months but are free + free repairs maintenance + replacement?
    referral is via GP/physio/OT/ nurse. 
    If you need indoors and outdoors then you should meet NHS criteria. 

Invacare Ltd
    sunrise medical
    ottobock Ltd
    do sturdy wheelchairs. 
    Please ask dealer to try at home before you buy. 

Hope this was of some help. 

Sorry can’t help you about grants. 

Yes the wheelchair needs to be lifting in and out of cars I have tried NHS but they say because I can walk around the house I don’t need an electric wheelchair. Also they don’t provide the sort of thing that I’m looking for.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 364 Pioneering
    Can you appeal your decision made by NHS not to provide you a wheelchair? Did you get 12 points for mobility for PIP? When asked the question by NHS person doing your assessment how did you answer was it the same as the way you answered for the PIP application? Are there any local disability charities than can help you look at your situation with a new set of eyes?
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Just loooked on motability they start at nineteen a week that comes straight from your benefits which is what pip is for to help pay for stuff like this 
  • Durhamjaide
    Got one now thanks everyone for their advice.
  • WPM
    WPM Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    @Durhamjaide glad to know that you found one that meets your needs. 
    Just out of curiosity, which make model did you go for?
    is it easy to lift in/ out of boot of a car?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you managed to get one @Durhamjaide :) Thanks for updating us. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.