Hi, my name is DeeAtkinson! Is there a benefit I can claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is DeeAtkinson! Is there a benefit I can claim?

Options
DeeAtkinson
DeeAtkinson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I am new on here. I was wondering if there was a benifit I can claim as I  am a pensioner with a stoma and hernias. My husband is not of pension age and is not working at the moment.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @DeeAtkinson

How are you? I'd like to wish you a warm welcome to the community, it's great to have you aboard and I hope you enjoy being here.

I have moved your discussion over to our benefit entitlement category and slightly changed the title so that other members know what you are asking. 

Have you filled out a benefits calculator to try and estimate your entitlement to any benefits? You can find one here on the AgeUK website. Alternatively you can access one through entitledto by visiting this page.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,062 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm assuming you're claiming your state pension? Apart from this what other benefits are you and your husband claiming exactly please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DeeAtkinson said:..with a stoma and hernias. 
    Any disability benefits are based on the impact your health conditions have on you, not on a diagnosis. As a pensioner the relevant disability benefit is Attendance Allowance (assuming you do not already receive DLA or PIP). The test for AA is whether you need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety and have needed that help for six months already. You don't need to actually be getting help.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.