State Pension credits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

State Pension credits

Options
pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Please can sombody help work out my neighbours pension credits please
Hi my neighbour claimed his pension and credits comes to 718.40 per month, before claiming his pension he said he was receiving 397.36 fortnightly with his disability premiums on esa , but he seems to have been getting when he was on esa , is his pension credits right or is they some money that has not been added on ,he lives on his own and claims housing benefit and recieves pip , any advice will be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Standard rate of State Pension plus Pension Credit (if Pension Credit is payable) for a single person is £177.10 which is £708.40 every 4 weeks if there is no other income to take into account.

if they also get a disability benefit, live alone and nobody claims Carer's Allowance for looking after them they can claim the Severe Disability Addition which is worth £67.30/week.

From the figures quoted it looks as if the Severe Disability Premium was included in the ESA. 

If your neighbour meets the conditions of getting a disability benefit, living alone and nobody claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after them they need to ring pension credit and tell them.

[Note to moderators - would it be helpful to have a separate category for pension age benefits which would include State Pension, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit for pensioners.]
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti Thankyou so much Yes nobody's claims carers for him , can he email them? 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    pee14 said:
    @calcotti Thankyou so much Yes nobody's claims carers for him , can he email them? 
    Needs to ring 0800 731 0469
    Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 3:30pm

Simply needs to explain his circumstances and say that he understands that as a result he should be entitled to Severe Disability Addition in the calculation of his Pension Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti
    Can I ask you if scope gives advice on housing issues with incommunties please?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @pee14 :) It depends on what kind of question you have. Scope doesn't have a housing service as such, but we're happy to try and answer queries where we can, and our members have a wealth of experience to share. 

We have a housing category, which you're welcome to post in with any queries. 

You can get in touch with incommunities directly here, which includes a live chat service.  
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How about a separate category for state pension issues @Tori_Scope? I’m in favour.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• pee14
    Options
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on categories @leecal and @calcotti :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • pee14
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @calcotti Hi does anyone have the address for state pension credits please ,he canot speak to them over phone? Thanks
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The address will be on the letters he already has about his existing Pension Credit but I think it's this one

The Pension Service 
    Post Handling Site A 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV98 1AF 

Alternatively if someone can be with him they can ring Pension Credit but he will need to be there to answer a few security questions and give consent for the other person to speak on his behalf.
  • pee14
    Options
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    If he is going to do it by post he may want to download this form, print it out, complete it and post it in
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/256463/response/627521/attach/4/PC10%200114.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
  • pee14
    Options
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti
    Hi well what a mess this is, dwp are saying he canot have pension credit guarantee because is son stays 3 /4 nights a week , iv been on to phone to them and they said because is son stays 3/4nights a week it classed as he lives there, surely this isn't right ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,287 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds like the decision maker is saying that the son's usual place of residence is with his father. Where does his son stay when he's not at his Dads? does his son stay with his dad every week for 3-4 nights?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy thanks for your reply , hes a busker and sleeps sofa surfing,  he doesn't claim benefits although unemployed   he stays Sunday nights Tuesday nights,Thursday nights Friday the following weeks might be 3 nights they gave it then took it away the same day and said that was the reason because he recieved the acceptance letter and refusal the same day.
  • pee14
    Options
    I said he was getting is premiums when he was on esa and esa knew that is son stayed 3/4 night and he said well he shouldn't have been receiving is premiums on esa then @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,287 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The decision maker this time has decided that his son normally resides with his father. The things they look at for this is the time spent there, how often this happens, where else do they live, where do they keep their belongings etc etc.
    See link and scroll to 44125 There are some examples in there for you to read.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456 They have no other information other than he stays 3/4 nights a week ,so they have assumed he lives without knowing where is belongings are how often and wherelse he stays.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.