I had an accident at work 2 years ago. I recently had an operation for it. Can I claim IDB? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had an accident at work 2 years ago. I recently had an operation for it. Can I claim IDB?

debbied3012
debbied3012 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I had a accident at work and fell up some stairs and knocked the cartilage out of my right knee 2 years ago. I’ve recently had a knee op and wondered if I’d be able to claim IDB
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure other members will 

Just wanted to say welcome on board 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't advise on IIDB. Just wondered however if you are claiming any other benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • debbied3012
    No because I’ve gone back to work
  • debbied3012
    I reported the accident. I sat with my manager at the time while she logged it, now it’s mia. But I have a phased return sick note that says I had a accident at work and lots of witnesses. 
  • Joanne99
    Joanne99 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Send any hospital admission  and date of accident  hou will need good luck
  • debbied3012
    Hi @debbied3012

1. You say it did happen at work, but was it recorded fully? As in Riddor requirements? I.e. ARB? If it wasn't then your perceived work related injury could have been caused by another event outwith the perceived event.

2. You state you've gone back to work, was this with the people you worked for?

3. I know a bit about this issue you have but most on here would need to know more in order to direct you to the most appropriate people to help you.

4. If you are working now, do you do the same job? Did you inform the HSE? Was there any gaps in between?

5.  To be honest, you need to get some legal advice and/or support through this as the requirements of IIDB are very strict

6. Good luck and hope your injury gets better soon. 

Xxxxx 
    It wasn’t logged but I’ve only just found out but I do have lots of witnesses to clarify plus a back to work interview saying I had it at work.  I do work for the same company. I’m on a phased return. I’ve had a assessment with IDB. Waiting to hear now! Thank you 
  • Joanne99
    Joanne99 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Mine wasnin the accident  book at work but when i had bk to work meetings  the manger said there were no recolection of any soon sorted and found it when union was brung in i gather some work places find  it easier  to try and push you out and ignore they were to blame if you have witnesses that can verify this  its good has then 
  • debbied3012
    Thank you to each & everyone but no one is in denial about the accident happening at work so management are on my side. The report obviously didn’t get reported correctly and my old manager will be held accountable as it’s law to have it documented! I’ve just have to wait and see, my assessment was only 2.5 weeks ago and she did say you’ll have another assessment in a year so that’s sounds promising. I’ll let you know the outcome. (I have little patience so I always want to know on the day) ?
  • debbied3012
    Definitely, it’s really only just dawned on me I may never be right again so I’ve started a claim for my knee too. I wasn’t issued a torch which is mandatory. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    I'm just stepping in here to address the phrase, 'bow out poppet'. As ever, tone is a tricky thing to convey through text and I can very easily see why the phrase was felt to be a bit patronising on this occasion.

I note BeKindAlways appears to often use this phrase as a term of endearment, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt and simply ask that we remember to keep things friendly and remember how our words might be interpreted by others.

Thank you as ever, for your help with this query Mike.

Fingers crossed for you @debbied3012.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • debbied3012
    Yes, I thought the same, I didn’t ask my question to start a argument but just advice and appreciated Adrian 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.