Carer and use of Blue Badge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer and use of Blue Badge

MarmotV
MarmotV Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I care for and live with my disabled mother. Until recently, friends have helped drive her around or I've paid for a cab service. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, and other issues, our friends cannot help anymore. Now she is stuck at home and her mental health has suffered.

To help her, I got my licence last year, but we don't have residents parking for our flat i.e. I can't even buy a residents permit. My mother does not have a licence, but she was granted a Blue Badge earlier this year. The plan is for me to drive her around - taking her to meet friends, to the park etc. I contacted our local council who said,

"Just, so that you know, if you buy a car, and you are not disabled and do not have your own disabled badge, you may need to buy a parking permit to enable you to park in the borough.  Your mothers disabled badge can be used in the vehicle or any vehicle with which she is travelling or being picked or dropped off.  If, your mother is a ‘driver’ she can display her badge in the car and does not have a purchase a parking permit."

Now I'm not sure if I could park the car in our area if I'm the only one driving and she is the passenger. I understand the purpose is to prevent people using someone else's blue badge, but that's clearly not the intention here. I don't enjoy driving and have been happily using public transport throughout my life (I'm nearly 40).

Anyone know how to deal with this situation?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

A blue badge doesn't replace a residents permit. Blue Badge holders may not be able to park in other places reserved for permit holders, like residents bays for example. You will need to have a look and see exactly what the rules are for parking in that area.

May i ask why you're unable to get a residents permit?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarmotV
    Hi, thanks for the response.

Our local authority told me that our property (in a block owned by a housing association) did not have access to parking in the borough (so we couldn't apply for residents permits). The only parking available is the private parking spaces offered by our housing association. I've been in touch with the HA for nearly a year but they're slow in everything and won't even tell us about a waiting list or costs.

The rules in our area are that Blue Badge holders can leave their car there so long as they're the drivers. At least that was how I understood the local authority's email I quoted. I have looked around and have seen a few cars with Blue Badges displayed.
  • poppy123456
    MarmotV said:

"Just, so that you know, if you buy a car, and you are not disabled and do not have your own disabled badge, you may need to buy a parking permit to enable you to park in the borough.  Your mothers disabled badge can be used in the vehicle or any vehicle with which she is travelling or being picked or dropped off.  If, your mother is a ‘driver’ she can display her badge in the car and does not have a purchase a parking permit."

OK, i understand exactly what you're asking now. I read this as "your mother needs to be the driver of the vehicle" to be able to use the blue badge in that area and will not need to purchase a parking permit. As she's not the driver then the BB can't be used as a replacement for the parking permit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MarmotV
    I’m happy for her to drive with me by her side. She has a provisional licence. Would this make her the driver?

We’re a little desperate at the moment. Today it’s beautiful outdoors and so I said I’ll get an uber so she can join me for our grocery shopping. Yet as it’s the weekend, the rates are double. She said she’ll just stay indoors again. Whenever I see her, she’s just staring at the wall.

At the same time, I see a bunch of young healthy men driving their cars into all the parking spaces that the housing association should be distributing according to need and priority. These men are my neighbours and they live alone or with their girlfriends. I don’t know their circumstances but they really don’t seem to have anything urgent to do when they go out for a drive. 
  • poppy123456
    I don't see any reason why you can't park there while you pick her up. I'm assuming you don't live with her?
  • MarmotV
    I do live with her. I care for her. I can make sure I never switch the engine on without her being in the car. I really don’t intend to use the car for my own purposes unless and until I get a parking space from the housing association. 

Ps. Thanks for all all your help Poppy. You’re  star! 
  • poppy123456
    I don't see that there would be any issues with just parking there while you pick her up, this way she won't need to walk any further than she needs. Just move the car to a different parking space once you've dropped her off.
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    MarmotV said:

Our local authority told me that our property (in a block owned by a housing association) did not have access to parking in the borough (so we couldn't apply for residents permits). The only parking available is the private parking spaces offered by our housing association. I've been in touch with the HA for nearly a year but they're slow in everything and won't even tell us about a waiting list or costs.

The rules in our area are that Blue Badge holders can leave their car there so long as they're the drivers. At least that was how I understood the local authority's email I quoted. I have looked around and have seen a few cars with Blue Badges displayed.
    Hi MarmotV, I read your response and just wondered since you stated that the block was Housing Association that you did not have access to parking by the council?  The housing association when building the block in their plans should have made available a parking bay for each flat ( like off road parking.for each resident. )  If your mother ( and you ) lives in the HA block then there should be some where for you to park?
      Blue Badge says you can use the badge to take the " owner " in the vehicle with you as it goes with her when in other vehicles like an insurance policy that would also allow you to park on Double yellow should it be necessary but only when she is with you.
     Would contact HA again and ask where is the allocated parking spage for your mum? 
  • poppy123456
    MarmotV said:

If your mother ( and you ) lives in the HA block then there should be some where for you to park?
    There is but the OP did say a parking permit is needed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.