Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I had a phone assessment, and noticed my UC payment has gone up. Can I get backdated payment?

Options
bh1977
bh1977 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I had a telephone assessment recently and have now noticed that my universal credits has went up and I now get £341 a month, the girls on the phone said the assessment should have taken place last year but due to Covid this was them just getting round to it, I have been asking in my journal since last year for a breakdown of UC as I don’t get any money, last time I lost a job due to my condition I was put on ESA but this time I was told it was all in the UC, with me now being given the extra money would I be entitled to a backdated payment?.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Everyone that claims UC receives a statement on their journal every month and in this statement there's a breakdown of everything that's included with your claim as well as any deductions you may have from any other income. UC is 1 monthly payment made up of many different elements. If you sign into your journal the statements will all be in the payments section. You will receive the statement on the same day each month and this should be 6 days before you receive your payment.

When you had your work capability assessment you should have had a decision letter uploaded onto your journal so have a look. If you have been awarded the LCWRA then this is an extra £343 per month, although you say you receive £341. Whether you're owed any backdated money will depend on when exactly you reported your health condition and when your payment dates are because there's a 3 full month waiting period.

Do you work? Do you claim UC with a partner? because £341 per month suggests that maybe you're claiming with a partner that works or you're working yourself and you have some deductions each month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bh1977
    Options
    Hi poppy sorry I put the wrong figure in it is £343 like you say, I received a letter the next day after my assessment in my journal  saying I wasn’t capable of working and that if any changes are to me made to my UC then I would receive a letter but I haven’t received a letter only this month in the payment section does it list the payment of £343 to me but I have had no letter saying I was getting it only noticed when checking my payments.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The decision letter would have told you that they've decided that you have limited capability for work and work related activity. (LCWRA) you may get extra money because of your health condition. Any changes to your payments will show up in your statements. The extra money is awarded 3 months after you gave us evidence of your health condition.

Whether they owe you any backdated money will depend on when you reported the health condition and the exact date of your payments because there's a full 3 months waiting period.

If they owe you any money you'll eventually receive another letter on your journal telling you how much they owe.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bh1977
    Options
    Hi poppy

The letter did say exactly what you wrote but I have noticed in my payments this month like I said earlier that I’m being paid the £343.

I told them of my condition on the 11th of February 2020.

Is it backdated money your saying can take up to 3 months to come through 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The 3 month waiting period means that you don't receive any extra money for the first 3 full assessment periods of your claim. If you continued to send in fit notes for the whole time with no gaps then you should receive backdated money from either June or July 2020.

I can't tell you exactly when it will be backdated to because i don't know the exact date you reported the health condition or the dates of your assessment periods (or when you usually receive payment).

It can sometimes take a few weeks to receive the money because all of your statements need to be recalculated for them to work out how much money is owed. So do be aware that once they recalculate your statements you will lose the current ones and they will be replaced with new, so if you want to keep the currant ones then you should screenshot them and save them.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.