Are you or your kids going back to school? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you or your kids going back to school?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2021 in Education
It's that time of year again! Though some young people (and their parents!) may be feeling excited for the new school year, others may be feeling a little anxious about getting back into the classroom.

The NSPCC have a page with advice on going back to school, which may be useful if you have any concerns or questions. This includes some information on what to do if you think something's wrong
As children grow up and change schools, or move to new schools in new areas, it may take some time for them to feel happy and comfortable. If you notice that your child has started behaving differently and you’re worried, it’s important you’re able to talk to your child’s teacher about it. They can help provide a full picture, and can help you support them with whatever they are struggling with.

Worried they’re being bullied?

Being bullied is a serious problem, and never your child’s fault. If you’re worried your child is being bullied, encourage them to talk to you about it, or if they don’t feel able to, to call Childline.

We have advice about how to spot the signs a child is being bullied, and what to do if they are. Childline also has advice for young people being bullied and message boards where they can find support.

Worried about their mental health?

If you have noticed a change in your child’s behaviour, they could be struggling with something at school, like bullying or harmful relationships, but they could also be struggling with their mental health. We have lots of advice about how to know if something is wrong and what you can do to help support them.

If your child has a hard time opening up to you, encourage them to get support from Childline’s counsellors. They also have information and advice for young people on mental health and coping with stress.
The charity Contact also have some useful information for parents on the return to school. Here are some pages you may find helpful:

stack of colourful books

Childline also have some information and tips for young people about going back to school. Here are a few of their top tips:

1. Write down your worries and hopes
  2. Ask questions
  3. Talk about what’s happened during the lockdown
  4. Prepare yourself before going back
  5. Use the mood journal
  6. Follow instructions about social distancing
  7. Take your time

Are you going back to school? Do you have kids going back to school? How are they feeling about it? How are you feeling about it? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,039 Disability Gamechanger
    This will be the first year for 20 years that i don't have any children starting back education... it did seem strange. I asked my younger daughter if she would like to start back and she replied... "are you kidding" :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That must have felt weird @poppy123456! I remember my mum feeling that way when I finished school too. 

I'm sure she wouldn't be best pleased :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.