How to ask for reasonable adjustments before I lose my job? I have autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to ask for reasonable adjustments before I lose my job? I have autism

jax3141
jax3141 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2021 in Work and employment
Hi,

I’m an autistic trans man. I’ve complained about transphobia in the organisation I work for. I was told to look for other jobs.

I struggle with communication due to my autism, my partner asked for reasonable adjustments (her to be there to speak for me). That was refused and they rang me instead (which I HATE).

Any tips on how I ask for reasonable adjustments before I lose my job?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry for your work issues unfortunately in this circumstances you can have people speak for you but it is usually either a work colleague or a union rep or on occasion a support worker 

You can put a request in writing for reasonable adjustments but they only have to consider this and give reason if not granted 

Is there anyone within the workplace that you could suggest as a suitable rep 
  • jax3141
    jax3141 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    As the manager it is difficult to get a work colleague to speak for me. I can’t get my union involved due to politics. 

I’m hoping access to work can help with a support worker!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    What do you want someone to speak for you about 

Is it the complaint? 

Would one of the other managers speak for you though it doesn't really matter if it isn't a manager 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.