problems with bank blocking card when try to buy groceries etc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

problems with bank blocking card when try to buy groceries etc

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Visa can't block your card because of not having the jab.  Something else is going on here. 

Sounds like the transactions are being flagged up as suspicious.  Do you only use the card very rarely and randomly or do you generally use the same websites?
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Is there an option to log in to your bank online? I can do that with NatWest and they can put you through to an advisor quite quickly. Just a short conversation with the 'bot' beforehand. I normally ask for someone to call me back. I guess you need an online access to do that. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having 

I am sure your problems with the bank card are not in anyway connected to you not having the vaccine 

You need to sort this out with your bank to see what the issue is 

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2021
  • [Deleted User]
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    If they quote suspected fraud, it doesn’t matter if you are disabled or not, they still need to investigate. I would advise speaking on the telephone. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Lets first of all debunk the idea that it's anything to do with vaccinations it isn't and nowhere has it been reported on the news that this is happening it just isn't.

The problem you are having is between you and your bank and no one on any forum can sort it out for you.

You are perfectly within your rights to refuse to be vaccinated, but i'm 100% certain that your decision has no impact on your ability to use your card(s).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    I suggest you look into the complaint procedure for your bank and make a more formal complaint to somebody in authority 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2021
  • janer1967
    Cab would be a good place to start 
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with others and it has nothing to do with you not being vaccinated against Covid. Banks have no access to anyones information regarding this.
    If it was me, i'd be ringing my bank to speak to them and not going to CAB because i'm not really sure what exactly they can do to help.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    @poppy123456 I suggested cab as the op was asking who could offer support to help them try and resolve this as they are not well enough to deal with this 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @piglet101,

I just wanted to reiterate what the above comments say, in reassuring you that your card has not been blocked due to your vaccine status. 
    and also am seeing in the news that if people don't have the jab they may be blocked from shopping, banking, etc. Am concerned this could be happening.
    I'm not sure where you've read this, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the claim that people's bank cards would be blocked if they haven't had the vaccine. 

As poppy123456 has said, your bank shouldn't have access to this medical information, and the NHS wouldn't pass this information on to your bank. You can read a little about how the NHS treats your data on this NHS trust page, which outlines that whenever the NHS shares information with other organisations, they do this in line with the Data Protection Act and the NHS Confidentiality Code of Practice (2003). The Caldicott Principles also outline the NHS' commitment to confidentiality. If you have concerns over the sharing of your medical information, you should speak to your surgery's practice manager.

Please ensure that all information you share on the community is correct to the best of your ability, and backed up by credible evidence where possible. As stated in our house rules: 
    • Always check that information is correct and appropriate.
    • Do not present opinions as facts.
    • Share reputable sources of information.
    It'll be a coincidence that you've been having trouble with your bank card after explaining to your GP that you're not having the coronavirus vaccination. I'd second the advice to speak to your bank directly if you can, and get advice from Citizens Advice if you need. Banks can be difficult to get through to, but it's worth persisting. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2021
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    You claimed to have seen this on the news, but provided no links to substantiate this.
    @piglet101
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.