What's your favourite school memory? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite school memory?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
Even though it's been a few years since I've been at school now (quarter life crisis incoming!), I still find myself reminiscing on my school days each September. Although many of us will have some bad memories from school, I'm interested in hearing about your favourite school memories :)

Do you have any good memories from school? Perhaps a funny moment, a special teacher, or happy times with good friends?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Not to be cynical but the best days were the last days before the summer holidays! Lots of fun and a holiday atmosphere.

(had selective mutism so school wasn’t a bundle of laughs)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A bit of a random one but when it was hot did anyone else used to freeze a bottle of water overnight then bring it in to school the next day to drink?

Everyone in my class did it and I have strangely fond memories of sitting there in an RE lesson waiting for it to melt, drinking tiny drops of water as the ice melted, or desperate for a drink holding it in my hands to make it melt faster.

Maybe my school was just weird…
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I won first prize, a little trophy with details engraved on it for an art competition for all the junior schools in the area..

Lots of my classmates had bought glitter and stars etc for their's but I only had coloured pencils I was so pleased. :)

Apparently I'd won for using my imagination.. lol
    The glitter girls were quite put out  :p
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My best time at school was at 3-45pm when the going home bell rang !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine same as you lol home time 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I loved around about May time of year 11 as that’s when study leave began and I only had to go in for exams. I was bullied in school a lot so I didn’t miss that. 

I did return to the same school for sixth form to do my A-Levels and that was better, people wanted to be there and I was not bullied. I actually felt sad when I left at the end of year 13. 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    I loved around about May time of year 11 as that’s when study leave began and I only had to go in for exams. I was bullied in school a lot so I didn’t miss that. 

I did return to the same school for sixth form to do my A-Levels and that was better, people wanted to be there and I was not bullied. I actually felt sad when I left at the end of year 13. 
    I can relate to this - hating school due to bullying by those who had nothing better but 6th form was a lot better, like you say likely because everyone wanted to be there.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    A bit of a random one but when it was hot did anyone else used to freeze a bottle of water overnight then bring it in to school the next day to drink?

Everyone in my class did it and I have strangely fond memories of sitting there in an RE lesson waiting for it to melt, drinking tiny drops of water as the ice melted, or desperate for a drink holding it in my hands to make it melt faster.

Maybe my school was just weird…
    Not just your school, even out in the stix that was a common thing at mine!  :D

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    We had those water fountains that looked like a urinal  :D
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    On another note, can you remember the toilet roll that was all scratchy and hard  :D  It definitely wasn't Andrex or (insert name of other good toilet roll brand).  

I loved primary school but struggled with my health throughout secondary so have lots of not so pleasant memories of that time.  My English teacher was incredibly supportive and lovely though, and really nurtured my confidence so I often look back and appreciate his presence!

How did everyone get on with the dreaded cross country?!  And, did any of you have lessons in portacabins?  I remember lots of those bizarrely  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
            Walking out of the doors at 16 knowing I never had to put up with school again.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Going back to get my gcse results and thinking I've done it and now don't have to ever go back 

Itonicly I did go to night school few years later and then part time uni to do my degree when I was 30 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    Lying on a rush mat in the school hall after dinner time at Primary school and being read a story, particularly the Narnia chronicles. I can still feel the prickly mat now. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    This is a great thread @Tori_Scope, thank you for sharing. Though, I had plenty of difficult periods at school, my overriding memory is one of laughter. I was fortunate that the good outweighed the bad. We worked hard but we had a good time too. I remember being in my wheelchair in a PE lesson and we were doing the register. I was waiting to either be sent to do physio or to watch, and seeing a spider on the floor. I chased it around in circles, though the teacher wasn't impressed, everyone else found it highly entertaining :) I would like to add, that when I needed to be, I could be mature (well, I tried) :) Thank you. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    On another note, can you remember the toilet roll that was all scratchy and hard  :D  It definitely wasn't Andrex or (insert name of other good toilet roll brand).  

I loved primary school but struggled with my health throughout secondary so have lots of not so pleasant memories of that time.  My English teacher was incredibly supportive and lovely though, and really nurtured my confidence so I often look back and appreciate his presence!

How did everyone get on with the dreaded cross country?!  And, did any of you have lessons in portacabins?  I remember lots of those bizarrely  :D
    It was Izal toilet roll, but by the 90s that wasn't still at our school.  I only remember it in historic place visits!  Like they thought a castle visit would be more authentic with it...  :D  However there was rarely any loo roll at all, or soap, in the boys toilets at primary...and I was always too scared to go into the girls to borrow some!  :#  I just decided it was best not to eat or drink anything throughout the school day, in hindsight, not the best idea. 

I had an entire year of primary in a 'temporary' portacabin.  My over-riding memory of it is the letters on the wall with 'yacht' and 'xylophone' which are clearly too advanced for any kids still learning the alphabet!  :D   Though also not really suitable for our age group, we must have been about 6 or 7 at the time.  (Two year groups taught together as the class was so small!)  I remember there was a lot of Steps & S Club CD's being played during 'wet break' in there.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    The portacabin was next to the carpark which has just reminded me of something (been wracking my brains trying to think of something positive!)...

One of the teachers had a very angular green/blue roadster with pop up headlights which seemed like such a cool car at the time...  I doubt it was anything that great in reality but can't work out exactly what it was now.  Think it might have been a Mazda 323 Fastback.  Similar to this one - 

X Racing Motorsport Posts in the 323 Astina category
    X Racing Motorsport Mazda Astina 1989-1994 BG Rear bumper

Was very different to the sea of Cavaliers and Mondeo's that everyone's Dad owned in the early 90s!  :D
  • snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    It has been a while since I went to school ?. Though, for the majority of my school life I went to a physically handicapped school (which I know now isn’t a pc thing to say). It was the best school. It was quite a way from where I lived and so a taxi picked me up in the morning and fetched me home in the afternoon. It was the best school and I had many friends. That was until I was aged 14 when a new head master took over and decided I should go to a mainstream school. Worse thing that could of happened as spent a lot of time in hospital for the next 3 years?
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious I had a similar experience with the school toilets. If you needed a wee it was OK but if you went for a number 2 it was not possible to go as if a cubicle was occupied someone would always kick the door open as a prank… :#
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope

Great post. My favourite school memory has to be the primary school lunches, especially cake and custard or burgers with melted cheese and beans. What is your favourite school memory @Tori_Scope? In fact, I would be interested in hearing all your favourite school moments!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious I had a similar experience with the school toilets. If you needed a wee it was OK but if you went for a number 2 it was not possible to go as if a cubicle was occupied someone would always kick the door open as a prank… :#
    I'd always have to go into a cubical for a wee as well.  Could never 'go' with people around!  :#   Still can't now...even at home if I hear people outside talking on the other side of the car park!!  :D 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.