What's your favourite school memory? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite school memory?

Options
2»

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,812 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I actually have a good memory of a brief period that I just remembered…

There was a multiplayer computer game I used to play called RuneScape. I’d been playing it for several years. My favourite thing to do on RuneScape was to buy and sell things to make money and I was a (virtually) very wealthy player.

In year 7 RuneScape became really popular and everyone started playing it at lunch time and after school. To progress you needed money to buy things, and most people struggled to make that money, especially the new players. For some mysterious reason when people found out I played the game and was very wealthy (and that you could trade your money across to other players…) I became the popular kid. It didn’t last though :D:D:D 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love your highlight, thanks for sharing @66Mustang! It made me smile and chuckle. What a difference games can make in schools  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    My favourite years was 79 to 85. I was at a great school, with loads of friends and no judging or teasing. Sadly thanks to a new headmaster (not), the remaining part of my schooling went rapidly down hill.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Does anyone else remember not being able to use the toilet during lessons in nursery, because “once you get to big boy/girl school you can’t go during lessons, so you need to practise now”. Indeed in my first school I wasn’t allowed to go because “once you get to middle school you’re not allowed, so you need to practise now”. In middle school “at high school you can’t go during lessons, so you need to practise now”. In high school the teachers were laid back and let you go during lessons if you needed to go :D
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hated nearly every moment in school, had a good laugh nearly every day though I must admit. I guess school isn’t made for some people! How time flies since I left.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We weren't allowed to go to the toilet during lesson times even in secondary school @66Mustang, it was pretty silly. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Was it just my school where because you weren't allowed to eat sweets in lessons you'd buy a packet of tunes throat sweets to rebel?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @Cress, I feel like you have read my mind. Yes, I remember those days. I was not allowed to eat sweets in lessons so I would have energy cubes instead  o:)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cress said:
    Was it just my school where because you weren't allowed to eat sweets in lessons you'd buy a packet of tunes throat sweets to rebel?
    Some of the kids in my class would try to deny eating pickled onion Monster Munch or juicy fruits gum...  :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Does anyone else remember not being able to use the toilet during lessons in nursery, because “once you get to big boy/girl school you can’t go during lessons, so you need to practise now”. Indeed in my first school I wasn’t allowed to go because “once you get to middle school you’re not allowed, so you need to practise now”. In middle school “at high school you can’t go during lessons, so you need to practise now”. In high school the teachers were laid back and let you go during lessons if you needed to go :D
    Which years were you at middle school?  We only had primary & high!  :|
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    That sounds great @OverlyAnxious :D thanks for making me chuckle! Even though I probably should not be advocating for that  >:)

• 66Mustang
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Which years were you at middle school?  We only had primary & high!  :|
    Lower school was year 1-4
    Middle school was 5-8
    Upper school was 9-11

I think my county is the only one that has 3 tiers but not sure
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    We had first, middle and high schools when I went through school, but it’s now just primary and secondary. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.