Hi, my name is groovette! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is groovette!

groovette
groovette Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join your community! 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @groovette welcome to the forum.
  • groovette
    Hi everyone, l would really like some sound advice and after reading many comments on this site I'm hoping to find the answers! I am on old style ESA with the Severe Disability Premium, and also PIP. I live on my own although my partner cares for me. He is on Universal Credit and his work coach has advised him to claim the carers element, and assuring him that l would not lose my SDP.  After recently phoning the ESA department l was advised that l would indeed lose the SDP if he claimed the carers element, and now his work coach is insisting that l won't! Is there anybody on here who could clarify this for me as everything l have read and wherever l have enquired have all pointed to the same outcome, that is,  if he claims the carer element of UC then l would lose the severe Disabled Premium. Thank you in advance for any answers! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    HI,

You are quite correct and your partners work coach is incorrect. See the highlighted part below.

You usually cannot have anyone aged 18 or over living with you, unless they’re in one of these situations:

• they get a qualifying benefit
    • they’re registered blind
    • they’re a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative)
    • they make separate payments to the landlord

You cannot get the severe disability premium if someone is getting Carer’s Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

Link here. https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • groovette
    Thank you poppy123456 for your quick reply! I have tried to explain this to my partner, as he is in as much as a state as me! And especially when his work coach is meant to be an expert! She actually told him she did this all the time and no one had ever lost their SDP! Iike yourself, l have searched the gov website, and turn2us etc etc and they all say the same thing so l will be printing copies for his work coach to read! Once again, I will thank you so much x

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Glad your query has been resolved 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Work coaches are not experts, far from it. Some of them have had very little training. 
    If they have done this before then there will have definitely been people who have lost their SDP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.