Additional benefits? - help please! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Additional benefits? - help please!

Options
roiseanjoy
roiseanjoy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi there,

I am currently on ESA while still being employed as my company is absolutely dragging its feet in terms of occupational health (I've already had one assessment and now they want another) and then what to do after that. I have agoraphobia, other mental conditions, and other physical conditions and there is no way I can commute to work every day or do the job that is required (they have sent me a letter advising of this).

My partner and I are really struggling for money. I began my PIP claim in March but I know that it takes a very long time and there is always a worry that it might not go through.

Because I get ESA while also still technically employed, am I at all entitled to other benefits such as housing etc?

Thanks you for all your help.
Roisean

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

New claims for housing benefit are no longer possible. For help with housing you would need to claim universal Credit. Whether you’re entitled to anything will depend on your joint circumstances. 
    UC is a means tested benefit and you would need to claim as a couple. Your New Style ESA would be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Use a benefit calculator to check entitlement. 
    Council tax reduction can be claimed from your local council, if you’re eligible.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.