Hi, my name is Queenie123! Appealing my flexible working request, what should I write? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Queenie123! Appealing my flexible working request, what should I write?

Options
Queenie123
Queenie123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2021 in Work and employment
Hi. I have been working from home since March 2020 and it has really helped my mental health and I genuinely feel better than I have for a very long time. Our office is now wanting us to go back and I’m worried my mental health will decline again…I’m still taking antidepressants and work are aware of my issues. I have got more work done from home than ever before and my home/work life balance is much improved. 
I have just been declined my flexible working request to continue working from home. I am currently writing an appeal and just wondering if there is any help
or advice of what to write short of saying I know my mental health will decline further. 

Many Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Queenie1919

Welcome to the community :) 

Many people have found over the past 18 months or so that working from home has improved their well-being at work, and it's positive that flexible working is a larger part of the conversation compared to before the pandemic.

I'm sorry to hear that your flexible working request was denied, but hopefully the appeal proves successful. Have you been able to evidence and explain that your productivity and work-life balance have been improved by working from home, and that it would ultimately benefit your company to have you based at home?

You can find information here on the Scope website about reasonable adjustments at work, which working from home can be. Have you explored reasonable adjustments with your employer during your time there?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I apologise now as this may not be what you want to hear 

But playing devils advocate from the employers view
    Without trying to return to the office how do you know your mental health will detetorate

You should evidence this in your appeal   have you been advised by a medical practitioner that this will be the case or is it just your assumption based on past history 

I'm not saying you should return just making you aware of their side 

Did they give reason why it was refused if so base your appeal round defending these reasons 

Also as above give detail of how your quality and quantity of work has been improved 

Could there be a compromise like working some days in office some at home? 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Queenie123
    Options
    Thank you both for comments. Yes I detailed completely all the benefits and how my work has improved. It was refused on a company wide basis rather than my individual request. They are going to look at hybrid working I’m just wanting to stay home. 
    I’ve not been advised by doctor that mental health will decrease again it’s defo just my assumption. Life just seems easier now. 
    I’m hoping the appeal will be looked at as I’m sure I’m not the only person in the company wanting the same thing. 
    Thanks for advice ?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Your welcome 

Maybe worth getting gp advice as this will add some weight to your appeal 

Did you say you was requesting it as part of the equality act as a reasonable adjustments for a related disability? 
  • Queenie123
    Options
    No I didn’t. I wasn’t sure I could use that which is partly why I joined this chat 
  • janer1967
    Options
     A Disability is defined as any physical or mental impairment that significantly impacts your ability to carry out day to day activities and that the condition is likely to last 12 months or more 
  • Queenie123
    Options
    Thank you that’s helpful 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.