How to move forward when very afraid! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to move forward when very afraid!

Options
Karen_08
Karen_08 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello. I have ME and lost my job in 2019 due to my health deteriorating. In a nutshell, after several weeks off sick, the company (it is a small family run business) maintained that they couldn't make reasonable adjustments for me, so I felt I had no other option but to leave as I was getting more and more unwell. The legal process of leaving was very traumatic for me, my employer turned nasty and then withdrew contact. It got so bad that I developed - and still have classic symptoms of PTSD -(flashbacks, hyper vigilance, avoidance, paranoia etc). I live fairly close to where I worked and border on panic attacks and try to avoid seeing people associated with the company.

I am in the support group for ESA and I use part of this income fund private therapy, as well as general outgoings, bills, etc. My husband's wage alone doesn't cover all of our outgoings, but with my ESA, we just about manage. I am low and lonely without having work and a sense of purpose in life, and I feel trapped. I want to move forward and perhaps try some voluntary work online (I can't do a lot physically due to health).

My big concern is that if I start to do a few hours of voluntary work and/or consider paid work, my ESA will be taken away (just like my job was) and I very genuinely fear for my mental health (and also how my husband and I would cope financially) if that were to happen. My doctor has not been particularly helpful as I don't fit the 'classic' PTSD criteria, so I feel quite stuck and disbelieved. Perhaps I should raise this again, as even just talking with friends about their jobs can sometimes trigger flashbacks.

I would appreciate any advice about my situation, which I appreciate is quite complex. Thank you for reading if you got this far!
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Karen_08

Welcome to the community, it's lovely to see you join us and thank you for being so honest about how you feel, you've clearly been through a lot.

Do you receive any support at all from your GP for your mental health? Did you get any sort of counselling following what you went through with the past job? You referred there to them not being very helpful which I'm sorry to hear, but I'm just wondering if they support you at all with your mental health? If that remains a concern for you, you could try going to see a different GP, and there are always places like Mind that you can contact to access support for how you feel.

You can do permitted work when you receive ESA, this information page provides further details about the sorts of work you can do, and for how many hours. I think it sounds like a great idea, volunteering somewhere can help to build confidence and skills, so I hope you are able to find something you enjoy.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,363 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

People do permitted work while claiming ESA but you must tell DWP that you're working. This can be paid work as well as voluntary. You must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £143 per week. Providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming ESA then it should be fine.

Have you looked at the criteria for claiming PIP? Find the descriptors here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf It's not means tested which means any other household income doesn't affect the amount you're entitled to.

Have you also used a benefit calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? Your ESA will continue as normal but your Support Group award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA element in with your maximum entitlement. Do be aware though that a claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. Benefit calculator here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=cacdb8e8-93a1-40af-a2d0-5ee83d6f6c7f

The standard element of UC is being reduced by £86 in October 2021 so do take that into consideration when doing the benefit calcualtor.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Karen_08
    Options
    Hi Ross and Poppy. Thank you for your replies. I applied for PIP but didn't score anything and didn't have the energy to appeal the process. 

I think I need some extra help or at least understanding from my GP about my mental health. Because what you are both suggesting should be reassuring (and rationally it is) but I still feel this terror in my body about things being taken away if I do go back into some kind of voluntary or paid work. My job was literally taken from me, I am so scared that my ESA will be too.
    Because of my health now, I wouldn't be able to go back to the work I did as it was physically and mentally very demanding. 

I checked about UC before but because of my husband's income (which is rather modest) it said I wouldn't be entitled to anything. 

All of this feels very overwhelming and stops me from feeling like I can move forward. The trauma response is very debilitating and I guess perhaps I need to speak again to my GP about it, so that it can at least be on my records and highlighted at my ESA reassessment, whenever that comes. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,363 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A GP wouldn't have any knowledge about benefits. When your review for ESA takes place they very rarely contact a GP or any other medical proffessional for any evidence. If they do contact a GP they are sent a tick box form to fill in and return but these forms ask for very limited information. Really the only person that knows your conditions is yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Karen_08
    Options
    Ah that's useful to know, thank you Poppy
  • MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    @poppy123456
    hi, can you do any permitted work in support group of ESA?
    I thought you could not?

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @poppy123456
    hi, can you do any permitted work in support group of ESA?
    I thought you could not?
    Yes you can. Read the link posted by Ross in the first reply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.