I got awarded LCWRA after my assessment in August. When will my payments start? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got awarded LCWRA after my assessment in August. When will my payments start?

tesscall
tesscall Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all new here ? I passed my work assessment on the 20th August have been awarded lcwra I have been handing in fit notes from the 4th may I get UC on the 6th and 20th of every month when will my lcwra start as haven't got a clue . Thanks 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tesscall

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see that you have joined us. Thanks for informing us about your progress. I am not the most knowledgeable about LCWRA benefits. I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you. However, in the meantime, you could benefit from a recent discussion about LCWRA benefits where more people have provided information about LCWRA payments. If you are interested, you can find the discussion at https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/77220/when-will-my-first-lcwra-payment-be-how-does-back-dating-work. At the very least, it will hopefully reassure you that you are not alone in this process and that it will be okay  :) If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let us know!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • tesscall
    Thank you for your response will check it out 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tesscall

You are more than welcome. I will always respond if I see you have posted on the forum. I appreciate it takes courage for you to reach out so I thank you for reaching out. I am just sorry that LCWRA benefits are not my area of expertise but hopefully someone with more knowledge about LCWRA benefits will respond! In the meantime, I hope you find the signposted discussion useful  :) Take care and I will hopefully see you around on the discussion forum again in the near future
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    tesscall said:
    Hi all new here ? I passed my work assessment on the 20th August have been awarded lcwra I have been handing in fit notes from the 4th may I get UC on the 6th and 20th of every month when will my lcwra start as haven't got a clue . Thanks 
    You have to wait four months from reporting your health condition before you get the extra LCWRA element in payment. 
    Your monthly assent period appears to be from last day of a calendar month to the penultimate day of the month.
    If you first reported you health condition on 4th May you will be entitled to receive LCWRA in your October payments.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tesscall
    Thank you for response much appreciated ?
  • L_Volunteer
    Thanks @calcotti for your informative response! Did this help you to understand the process more @tesscall?

How are you both?  :)

• tesscall
    Yeah understand now thanks . Will let you know if I get it in my UC for next month .thanks again 
  • L_Volunteer
    Amazing news! Really glad to hear that @calcotti has helped you to understand the LCWRA benefits process. Fingers crossed for you that you will receive it on time. Also, you are more than welcome. I am always more than happy to help if I can  :)

• tesscall
    Well finally received my LCWRA in my UC only to find out I had lost the transitional protection because of benefits I was receiving before going onto UC 
  • tesscall
    So basically the protection money I was receiving has been removed because of lcwra so instead of 343 a month I get about 58 
  • calcotti
    tesscall said:
    Well finally received my LCWRA in my UC only to find out I had lost the transitional protection because of benefits I was receiving before going onto UC 
    Unfortunately that's the way transitional protection works. The protection ensures that you do not lose money when you transfer benefits but that protection is eroded by increases in other parts of the award. It was the same for IB to ESA transfers in the past.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @tesscall

Oh no, so sorry to hear this unfortunate news. The cut in funding sounds really difficult for you. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise so I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can provide you with more support. However, in the meantime, I will be sending you well wishes and hugs  :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tesscall
     I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can provide you with more support.
    Calcotti has already answered the question here..
    calcotti said:
    tesscall said:
    Unfortunately that's the way transitional protection works. The protection ensures that you do not lose money when you transfer benefits but that protection is eroded by increases in other parts of the award. It was the same for IB to ESA transfers in the past.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @poppy123456

Thanks for highlighting @calcotti's response. Indeed @calcotti has already provided a very informative explanation and comforting "you are not alone" response which is really reassuring. Thanks so much for this @calcotti, it is always lovely to see the support you provide for one another (which I know I keep saying!). I am just wondering whether there is any other practical advice or mental health support we can offer @tesscall? Such a decline in finances can be a tough experience and I am thinking about the whole picture. I think many of us can empathise with @tesscall! I am wondering if there is anything specific that has helped others through similar circumstances? @tesscall If there's anything at all we can do to support you further, please just let us know, we are here for you  :)

• calcotti
    L_Volunteer said:.Such a decline in finances can be a tough experience 
    It's not a decline in finances, it's an an absence of an anticipated increase (which admittedly is still very galling).

tesscall - can you explain why you received transitional protection in your UC? What benefits were you on before transferring to UC?
  • L_Volunteer
    tesscall said:
    So basically the protection money I was receiving has been removed because of lcwra so instead of 343 a month I get about 58 
    Hi @calcotti

Sorry, I took @tesscall's post literally with my autistic brain! I thought "Instead of 343 a month I get about 58" meant that @tesscall was already receiving £343 a month and payment had declined down to £58 a month. Though, as you said, it is indeed still very galling! I can imagine it being quite a shock too if you need the money for daily living. Hopefully, together, we can all support @tesscall :)

• tesscall
    I used to be on JSA before UC I was advised to change due to certain health conditions 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm assuming you were claiming the Severe disability premium when you were claimng JSA? The SDP transitional support protection is the only transitional protection that's payable at the moment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tesscall
    On my JSA I got advanced premiums due to my deafness disability which is why I maybe got the transitional protection I don't know 

• tesscall
    Yes poppy I was claiming sdp when claiming JSA so made sure I would still get that on UC but wasn't aware when I got awarded lcwra that I would lose it so although I got 343 for lcwra I lost my protection of 285 . So my concern is if I was to go for another work assessment and fail it would I get sdp back ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.