Are you scared of needles? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you scared of needles?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
I've got my second coronavirus vaccination tomorrow. Although I'm excited to be double vaxxed, and feel lucky that I'm able to get the vaccination, I'm terrified of needles. 

My first appointment went really well, despite my panic beforehand. This has made me feel a little better about my appointment tomorrow, but I'm still a bit nervous.

Some things I find helpful are:
  • having someone I trust with me who can talk to me while it happens
  • not looking!
  • planning the rest of my day so that I have other things to look forward to 
  • making sure I know exactly how to get to the venue, and what time I'm meant to be there
  • wearing comfortable clothing
  • letting the person administering my vaccine know that I'm feeling nervous
  • bringing a snack and drink with me for afterwards
I'd like to know: are you scared of needles? Do you have any tips for others who are scared of needles? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Are you scared of needles? 24 votes

Yes, I'm scared of needles
12%
vikingqueenOverlyAnxiousTori_Scope 3 votes
No, I'm not scared of needles
66%
TephyleeCalwoodbineAdrian_ScopeCressidachiariedsWestHam0666MustangCressSandy_123MarkM88[Deleted User]MissMarpleDurhamjaideRozanneidontlikeliving 16 votes
I'm somewhere in the middle
20%
GrinchyDuninn[Deleted User]AZFDeem2021 5 votes

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Having to inject insulin 3 times a day and test blood sugars I have no fear of needles 

Saying that though I am always nervous prior to and during the injections I have in my eye but that is just another level 

I squeeze the hand of the poor theatre nurse and talking to others in the waiting room helps 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        Petrified and not ashamed to admit it. I should be use to them as I inject medication twice a week and have blood tests every 3 months. I know it's phycological and it isn't going to hurt but I still go into panic mode.  :# My nurse has all but given up trying to take my blood pressure at the same time as my blood test  :neutral:
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have regular injections too so no I’m not bothered by needles. I would be if I had to have an injection in my eye though! Poor Janer.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Options
     I know it's phycological and it isn't going to hurt but I still go into panic mode.  
    That's exactly it @vikingqueen! It's not really about the pain for me, just an irrational level of fear over the concept itself.

Yes, that's definitely another level @janer1967. I think most people would feel at least a bit nervous!

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I'm the same as @janer1967

I have to inject insulin 3 to 4 times per day,, as well as test blood sugar levels. On top of getting my flu jab every year and the regular blood tests, I've become used to it. 

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Needles don't bother me at all but I think it would be a whole different thing if I had to inject myself....don't think I'd be able to  :#
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options
    It depends where the needle is going...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For a while I had injections in one knee, the needle looked as though it would come out the other side.

Daughter used to be petrified of needles, and then one day she came home with a tattoo, (a vary tasteful one).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never been scared of needles, & do watch when getting jabs & blood tests out of interest. I also had to do some self injections in the abdomen after fracturing my hip. Despite all the years of watching, it took me a few attempts to get it right! My eldest grandchild used to pass out when blood samples were taken to check, as he has coeliac disease. Strange to say he's had both his Covid jabs without any issues or dramas. You'll be fine, Tori.  :)
  • AZF
    AZF Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    I just look away. Moment's **** but pain goes away. 
    All over. If near I'd probably come and support but as I'm probably not...
    Getting an injection from NHS? Fine
    Offering an injection to put my ear to sleep?
    Oh! Is that the time?
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Blood tests are a whole other kettle of fish for many people I think @chiarieds! And thanks :)

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i've never liked needles, i still get panicky,as a child my father would force household sewing needles under my fingernails as punishment for imagined bad things i had done but i just crack on with it these days, with all the blood tests i've had you would think i would be used to them by now, i am not as bad as i used to be
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @Grinchy - I can't believe a parent would do that; I'm so sorry. Good for you in partly getting over this....no wonder it's been difficult. Don't know what to say, other than if I say, 'Take care,' I mean more than this. :)
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Hey @chiarieds, its ok, my father was a drunk sadistic scumbag, they both were really, he abused me for years, sorry didn't mean to derail the thread thank you means a lot

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    This was NOT the ideal thread to read for someone with a considerable fear of needles...  :|

In fact, I didn't even make it past 3 posts!  :#  The fear is a little different for me though.  It's actually around anything entering my body at all.  That includes 'contaminated air' as well as all food and water.  It's always a challenge to get those things in, there seems to be no 'getting used to it' as time goes on.  If anything it's just getting worse.  There's no chance of me having the Covid jab (but now I can't get out, that's largely irrelevant for the forseeable anyway), but I also need dental work and a couple of hospital ops that all require needles, plus some diagnostic blood tests...some of those should have been done 10 years ago...  Can't see that I'll ever be in a position to deal with them.

I hope your second jab goes well today, Tori.  :)
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    Not scared at all. I self inject twice a week and have regular blood tests. In fact I like to watch the needle going in and the blood coming out ;) . Self administered injections are much easier now we have the pen type, one click and it's done.  
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    @Grinchy I'm so sorry to hear what you went through with your father.  :( The wickedness of some people never ceases to amaze me. 

• Grinchy
    Options
    @Cressida, thank you, yeah he had his evil ways about him, long dead now thank goodness,
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm incredibly fortunate not to be fearful of needles as I know many people are. Thank you.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @Grinchy sorry you had to go through that in your childhood. 
    @Tori_Scope you will be ok be over before you know it.
    I'm not afraid of needles I have to have too many blood tests every 3 months. My worst one was having a needle injected into my elbow right to the bone ? was painful but did the trick for me. Saying that I would do it again.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.