Hi, I'm lucky888! If I'm placed in LCWRA group, will I get arrears to beginning of UC claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, I'm lucky888! If I'm placed in LCWRA group, will I get arrears to beginning of UC claim?

lucky888 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have been on UC since the pandemic 16 months, I have extreme OCD and anxiety. I have been referred by the job centre to a work coach due to my illness, at the begging. 

A new job centre staff had taken over and he asked me “has anyone at the job centre asked me to sign so I don’t have to look for work, and have I been asked to get a fit note from gp. 

I said no, he explained that they have notes that I am too sick to work, however they should have instructed me to sign off work and get a fit note.  He will help me backdate from the start of my illness. When I was too ill to work. I have counselling sessions referred by the gp and prescribed antidepressants. 

My question is, will it be possible to backdate to the beginning?
 since the job centre did not do their job properly. They a knowledges I was too ill to work when they transferred me to a work coach.  They even told me I am too sick too work. But did not ask me to sign off. Did not ask me to get fit note. I have never claimed benefits before so I didn’t know. 

Also, they gave me the option to find work if I feel up to it, I am fed up being at home and want to give it a try looking for work and see if I can manage without any anxiety attacks. 
If I do find work, will I still be entitled to what I should have got at the very start (backdate) up until the day I find a job? 

Thanking you all, in advance 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,407 Disability Gamechanger

    It's not any work coaches decision to tell you that you're not fit for work but they can turn off work search requirements at their own discretion. For this you need to go through the work capability assessment process first, which usually requires either a telephone or face to face assessment done by the Health Assessment Advisory Service. Details here. It says ESA but the process is the same for UC. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa Before they can assess you once you've been referred for the work capability assessment you will be sent a form to fill in and return with all your evidence.

    What you should have done was report your health condition onto your journal and then provid fit notes from your GP and continue to provide them without gaps until a decision's been made on your claim. If you are then awarded LCWRA then the extra payments are backdated to the 4th full assessment period from when you reported the health condition, providing you sent fit notes with no gaps.

    If you are eventually awarded LCWRA whether you will receive any backdated money will depend on what's decided by a decision maker. Hope this helps, in the meantime please make sure you have now reported a change of circumstances (your health condition) on your journal.

  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hi @lucky888 and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you today?

    Just to let you know, I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our Universal Credit category to help others spot it that bit easier :)

    I hope @poppy123456 's advice has helped you better understand how the backdating of money works if placed in the LCWRA group.  While, I also wanted to check-in and ask if the counselling sessions and medication were helping with your anxiety and OCD?  I really hope so.

    If you choose to explore returning to work, perhaps give Scope's free employment services a little look at first.  We have various friendly teams who offer online/offline support to help working age people get back into employment, for instance our Support to work team help people who:
    • live in England or Wales
    • are looking for paid work
    • are happy with online and telephone support
    Support to Work programme information.
    Take care and please ask if you have any more questions.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.