Occupant and both on Uc — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Occupant and both on Uc

abismith04 Member Posts: 7 Listener
I’m adding someone as an occupant this year. We’re both on uc. And they’re waiting to hear from lawcra. I get a care leavers exemption on my council tax. I’m trying to find out how much roughly we’ll have taken off us between us on uc and how much council tax will be or if they’ll be able to have a 25% discount or my exemption will be removed. I’m also curious if they’re moved on universal credit from one county to another if they’ll have to reapply for lawcra or if the application will still apply. 

Please help I have no idea.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,910 Disability Gamechanger
    Is this person your partner? 
  • abismith04
    abismith04 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    No they’re a long term close friend. Have had a relationship like several years ago just found really that we got on very well with on and off living and dealing with eachothers mini meltdowns or mental health issues. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,910 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 19
    Then your UC claims will remain separate. When they move house it will just be a change of address. Will they need to claim for help with the rent? If they do they will need proof of eligibility to pay rent, such as a lodgers agreement.
    They will not need to go through the work capability assessment again.
    For your council tax what do you mean a care leavers exemption? Do you currently live alone? 
  • abismith04
    abismith04 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    I get housing element and have it sent directly to my local council. I’m under west Northamptonshire council and I’m a care leavers from residential care. The local council recently awarded care leavers exemptions which to my understanding a full exemptions. I have contacted them about this but even they aren’t sure as it was so recently introduced. I’ve been told mixed like theyd have to pay for themself or we’d both be put into be 25%. 

    Thank you I wasn’t sure if they’d count both people for the addresses income as were both on uc as I know they do for work or if it’s a lodger ect. But I was told by my housing officer that an occupant agreement would be better suited.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,910 Disability Gamechanger
    I found this link regarding the exemption https://www.westnorthants.gov.uk/council-tax/care-leaver-discount unfortunately, i won't be able to give any advice regarding that. Once your friend moves in with you then you will need to report those changes to your local Authority.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.