Hi, my name is purpleadder! Looking for advice on becoming self-sufficient and self-employed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is purpleadder! Looking for advice on becoming self-sufficient and self-employed

purpleadder
purpleadder Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2021 in Work and employment
Am looking for advice on my long term goal of becoming self sufficient and being self employed. What kind of help I can get have Bi polar and Rheumatoid Arthritis and dyslexia. Adaptions, business grants, mentor program have no clue 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @purpleadder

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

Becoming self-employed is a path that a lot of people choose to go down, working for yourself and setting your own schedules works for many people and enables them to manage their conditions alongside work.

Do you have any idea of the sort of self-employment you would want to do?

You can view a page on the Scope website here that contains information about becoming self-employed and the sorts of things you should consider. It also has some useful links to other pages where you could receive mentoring or other guidance:

Your GP surgery might have a social prescribing service. This will put you in touch with local organisations in your area, including support with employment.

You should also be able to utilise the Access to Work grant scheme, which you can read further information about here.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Do you know the type of work you are wanting to do and will it be as a sole trader or employing others , and will you be needing premises all things that would make a difference 

The job centre can advise and run programme to support self employment as well 
  • purpleadder
    thanks thanks for the info 

• purpleadder

I am housebound, I play online games, am starting my YouTube channel in November want to know what happens if I start earning money and if there is any grants for house adaptations to make it easier for me to do. I play in bed and sometimes sit in gaming chair but only for 30 mins max. I have had quotes for costs of adaptions going to cost me 3k or 4K. Have saved some money. I am also righting a book about my life with all of my Autoimmune problems it’s called Hermit or Kermit the extraordinary life of a Bipolar Gamer
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I would think if will take quite a whole if ever to become self sufficient from you tube buf it can happen 

For adaptions have you had a care needs assessment from social services as they will recommend any adaptions you can self refer through gov website 

As for grants do you own your property or is it social housing 

As for if any earnings will affect you depends on what you are claiming 
  • purpleadder
    Housing association, I am doing a comprehensive business plan at the moment have a friend help me to organise my time, as soundboard and to help with my dyslexia problems 
  • janer1967
    It us down to the housing association to approve any adaptions as the property belongs to them 

As advised before getting a care needs assessment is the place to start 

Ot will assess your current housing and if it us suitable for your needs 

They will produce a report for the housing association 

The cost of adaptions may in part be funded 
  • purpleadder
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It is possible that a HA won't allow you to run a business from their property, so asking that question might be a good place to start ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @purpleadder - & hoping all goes well for you in becoming self employed. The main concern your Housing Association (& neighbours) would have would be if people were visiting your home, parking outside, etc., which from what you've said shouldn't be an issue. Altho at the time we owned our own property, there was a clause about 'working from home,' but again, the concerns were just as above, so not a problem.
    Yes, you should inform your HA, but also see this guide, specifically p.12 in relation to this. Some other good advice in this link available from the Government's website . Please see: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/39255/12-829-home-business-guide.pdf   

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.