claiming pip for arthritis as a carer for mr husband — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

claiming pip for arthritis as a carer for mr husband

maryjane67 Member Posts: 13 Listener
i have been a carer for my husband 12 years but having problems with arthritis pain ,knees shoulder and feet  not sure if i should claim pip or how to make sence or the from because of the contradiction with my caring role .my husband needs supervision from cooking to to making a journey i am with him all the time how would i answer the question for my own needs .any help please


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,069 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 21
    Clearly if you say you help lift someone in and out of the bath but also that you cannot lift a saucepan due to the weight that would appear contradictory but it is perfectly possible to have disabilities yourself and care for somebody else depending on the nature of the difficulties and the nature of the care. Supervising someone is a caring activity but is not necessarily physically demanding and, if something dramatic happened requiring an intervention you are unable to do, you would call for help. Even at a more simple level it may be possible to do activities for someone else that you cannot do for ourself, for example someone who cannot bend to tie their own shoelaces may be able to tie the shoelaces of somebody else by positioning themselves on different sets on the staircase.

    If you apply for PIP you would need to describe your own difficulties in the usual way. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • maryjane67
    maryjane67 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    thank you calcotti it more supervising and guidance 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.