Mutual exchange query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mutual exchange query

knucklehead Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi, I am looking for some advice on mutual exchange. I have a 1 bed first floor flat and want to move to a different property as I am unhappy with the setup here as the place is too small with no storage space, no garden and no drive and I don’t get on with surrounding neighbours. I have found someone who is willing to mutually exchange with me, their property is a 2 bed house with a decent sized back garden and a drive and plenty of storage space.  My property is a housing association and theirs is a council property, my property is in a nicer area which is what is appealing to the other party. We have seen inside each other’s property and are both eager to proceed with the exchange.  They are in full time employment and I am receiving ESA. I have been researching the mutual exchange process on the net and have stumbled upon a few issues, I have read that the council may refuse the application on the grounds that their property is too large for my needs, elsewhere it says may refuse if substantially too large for my needs and somewhere else it says it may be allowed if I can show that I can afford the extra bedroom tax which I easily can. To me it will be worth it for the extra space/drive/garden the extra bedroom is just a bonus. My mental health is suffering because of where I am now and being able to go out in the garden would do me the world of good rather than being trapped inside here. I am unable to provide evidence of mental health issues as my therapy stopped because of Covid and there are no records kept apparently, I have been on a waiting list for the last 6 months and chased it up last week and was told another 9 months before I will be seen. The Council’s website doesn’t mention anything specific about their exchange policy. My housing officer is aware of my situation wanting to move and has already said if I find someone to exchange with she will happily sign the consent forms. I was actually quite hopeful and excited until I read that information earlier today. Does anyone have any experience with this situation or can give any help on what I could do to improve my chances of this going ahead because I really need this. I wanted to ask in here before submitting the paperwork because this is the closest I’ve gotten to something going my way without being told ‘No’ 


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,404 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the only thing you can do is apply and see what happens, if they agree great if they don't nothing really lost.
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you also aware that if the house is in a different local Authority and you need to claim for help with the rent then you will need to claim Universal Credit. This will end any Income Based ESA you're claiming. Of part of it is Contributions based then this will continue but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    If it's in the same local Authority then you will be able to remain on your existing benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • knucklehead
    knucklehead Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    It’s same local Housing authority as I’m in now


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.