Anyone experienced a parent getting more than 50% of assets in a divorce because they're your carer? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Anyone experienced a parent getting more than 50% of assets in a divorce because they're your carer?

Moomin30 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi - nice to meet all of you :smile: My Mum is currently going through a divorce from my Dad...which has been very difficult. It has taken him over a year to provide all of his financial information. Last year I was studying a master's part-time but due to my disability- neurological- and needing increase in treatment I have suspended it for now. I am living with my Mum and have been for the last two years following seizures caused by an error with medication. I receive PIP. Her solicitor is currently arguing that she requires more that 50% of their assets because she has to care for me. I wondered if anyone has had this experience? 


  • Reg
    Reg Member Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Hello @Moomin30

    Welcome to the community . I am sorry you have had to suspend your masters . I hope you can get back to your studies soon.

    I am also sorry to hear that your parents are getting divorced. I appreciate it is a worrying and distressing time for all.

    Is your mum in receipt of carers allowance ? If she has not explored eligibility it may be worth looking at.

    Normally if children are adults then the family court does not look at their needs ( such as housing ) but where there is a disability the court can do so . 

    Financial awards can be anywhere from 0 to 100 percent - it all depends on a range of factors but more than fifty percent can be ordered.

    It sounds like your mum's solicitor is on top of the arguments so the best thing is to try not to worry as financial settlements always seem to take a long time to sort out.

    I hope this helps 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,251 Disability Gamechanger
    @Moomin30 afternoon and welcome to scope, I assume as you were studying for a masters that you are not a child, and that therefore your situation should not be part of their divorce settlement , but i'm not a lawyer.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.