Anyone experienced a parent getting more than 50% of assets in a divorce because they're your carer? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone experienced a parent getting more than 50% of assets in a divorce because they're your carer?

Options
Moomin30
Moomin30 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi - nice to meet all of you :smile: My Mum is currently going through a divorce from my Dad...which has been very difficult. It has taken him over a year to provide all of his financial information. Last year I was studying a master's part-time but due to my disability- neurological- and needing increase in treatment I have suspended it for now. I am living with my Mum and have been for the last two years following seizures caused by an error with medication. I receive PIP. Her solicitor is currently arguing that she requires more that 50% of their assets because she has to care for me. I wondered if anyone has had this experience? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Moomin30

Welcome to the community . I am sorry you have had to suspend your masters . I hope you can get back to your studies soon.

I am also sorry to hear that your parents are getting divorced. I appreciate it is a worrying and distressing time for all.

Is your mum in receipt of carers allowance ? If she has not explored eligibility it may be worth looking at.

Normally if children are adults then the family court does not look at their needs ( such as housing ) but where there is a disability the court can do so . 

Financial awards can be anywhere from 0 to 100 percent - it all depends on a range of factors but more than fifty percent can be ordered.

It sounds like your mum's solicitor is on top of the arguments so the best thing is to try not to worry as financial settlements always seem to take a long time to sort out.

I hope this helps 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Moomin30 afternoon and welcome to scope, I assume as you were studying for a masters that you are not a child, and that therefore your situation should not be part of their divorce settlement , but i'm not a lawyer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you have an update on this situation at all @Moomin30? Has any progress been made with sorting out the divorce settlement? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness