how do we prove he is no longer self-employed - Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

how do we prove he is no longer self-employed - Universal Credit

ella1992 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 23 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I need advice so my partner was self employed new this but this morning we put change in no longer being self employed he has phone call with unvcail credits how do we prove he no longer self employed hmrc cant take him off untill next year when tax year ends im worried sick she said on phone to ask some questions but what questions I'm confused thank u 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,844 Disability Gamechanger

    There will be no proof needed. I note from another thread of yours that you're claiming PIP for youself. If this includes the daily living part does your partner claim the carers element of UC for looking after you? If they do then there will be no work commitments because they are caring for you.
  • skhan95
    skhan95 Member Posts: 90 Connected
    Sorry same question I want to ask my boyfriend is not entitled to any benefits but I get daily living pip enhanced rate he help me with everything 
    Can he get carer element and if yes then his work should be limited or full time work he can ? Thank u
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,039 Disability Gamechanger
    ella1992. As poppy says, if he is claiming the carer element of Uc he will have no work related requirements. However as he has been self employed UC may require him to continue to report monthly income and expenditure for his self employment in order for your claim to be processed each month. If he is no longer trading he will simply report nil and nil.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,039 Disability Gamechanger
    skhan95. Your circumstances aren't clear. Are you a couple living with your boyfriend or are you two single people? You say he is not entitled to any benefits so what is your/his situation? What benefits do you claim, if any, apart from PIP.
    Carer element is part of UC and is not claimed separately from it. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.