Being forced to go to the job centre. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being forced to go to the job centre.

Options
rubin16
rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 558 Pioneering
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I need some advice,

I have Autism, Paranoid Schizophrenia and very bad crohn's disease and hardly go outside as I get panic attacks, and hear voices telling me people are going to harm me when outside which causes bad anxiety and panic attacks. I also have bad sensory issues with my autism so struggle with loud places and unfamiliar environments.  I have been sending in sick notes since May for this and been recording them on my journal.

I was told last week my next appointment (Today) was at the job centre, I immediatley sent a message on my journal to say that I couldn't do the job centre and the reasons why, to which they said they would call to discuss. I today had the phone call and my new work couch which has suddenly changed said that I have to go in person to my next appointment and future appointments and that if I don't my benfit will stop.

If this is the case then I might have to close my case as I know I can't face going to the job centre and will cause me so much distress. but is this right can they force you to go to the job centre? I have a care co-ordinator which I will speak to and see if she can speak to them, but I am so stressed now thinking about it. I only just go over the stress of my pip claim.
I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Your work coach can switch off this commitment and conduct the appointments over the phone 

If they insist ask to speak to their manager or have a different work coach 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised you aren't in the LWCRA group considering your restrictions.  Are you still waiting for the assessment for that?
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 558 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I'm going to speak to my Nurse/Care-co-ordinator to see if she can speak to them for me and get them to do telephone appointments in future.

I'm a bit surprised you aren't in the LWCRA group considering your restrictions.  Are you still waiting for the assessment for that?

My Universal Credit is weird, I've been on it for over 2 years without appointments but was sent out a WCA form but I was in hospital when they sent it out so failed to send it back, then in Jan I was forced to look for work which I got a job and fell ill again in April, so been sending in sick notes since beginning of May but havn't heard anything about sending me to a WCA or getting another form to fill out yet. Its like they are ignoring my illnesses.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.