Pip & mental health. Can I ask the assessor to read back what they write on my form? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip & mental health. Can I ask the assessor to read back what they write on my form?

Tiggy1
Tiggy1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I struggle to remember things and get easily confused am i allowed to ask the assessor to read back  what they write on my form so i can be sure they get the full picture 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Tiggy1

Thanks for reaching out to us. You are able to request reasonable adjustments for your PIP assessment under the Equality Act (2010). If you wish to have a read-aloud then this may be a reasonable adjustment you request. You may also take someone with you to your assessment. There are other reasonable adjustments that you may find useful. If you are interested in exploring these then you may find https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/preparing-for-pip-assessment/ useful. This link provides more examples of reasonable adjustments and details about how you could request reasonable adjustments if you require them. If there is anything else we can do to support you, please do not hesitate to let us know  :) 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tiggy1 - & welcome to the community. I would tend to disagree. Whilst you can ask the assessor to read back what they've written, I doubt there would be time to do so, Remember also that the assessor will listen to your replies, then they will write down their own opinion. I would suggest if there are any questions that you feel confused about, do ask them to repeat them, or ask them to put it another way. Let them know if you're struggling to answer. Good luck.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks, @chiarieds for the more practical insights and support! Though, it still may be worth requesting. The worst that can happen is that they say no but they will definitely say no if they are not aware it is something you need  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,919 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I agree with @chiarieds here. There's no harm in asking for the HCP to read out what they've put but they don't have to agree to this. I also can't see how this could be seen as a reasonable adjustment. They are not there to write what you say word for word.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tiggy1
    Oh i see, i did not know i could request a copy, thankyou for answering my question 
  • Tiggy1
    Thankyou also for letting me join the forum 
  • poppy123456
    Tiggy1 said:
    Oh i see, i did not know i could request a copy, thankyou for answering my question 

Yes you can but if you already suffer with mental health it may not be a good idea to request it because it can cause a lot of people even more anxiety, especially if it's not what you expected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tiggy1
    Yes i spoke to my support worker she recommended i don't ask for it as she is hoping to be with me at the assessmen, thankyou poppy123456 
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi all! 

Thanks for supporting one another. I always love to see the support you provide for one another within the Scope community. As you rightly identified @mikehughescq, reasonable adjustments are for creating a level playing field. In terms of how a read-aloud could be a reasonable adjustment, if you have difficulties remembering and being confused, the assessor may not read out how much you have scored but may read out your responses to remind you about and clarify what you have already said and whether you would like to add any additional information. I hope this helps to clear up my thinking process! However, you could also take someone with you to clarify whether the information you have provided is accurate for you and remind you if there is anything you should add. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask  :)

• poppy123456
    Hi all! 

Thanks for supporting one another. I always love to see the support you provide for one another within the Scope community. As you rightly identified @mikehughescq, reasonable adjustments are for creating a level playing field. In terms of how a read-aloud could be a reasonable adjustment, if you have difficulties remembering and being confused, the assessor may not read out how much you have scored but may read out your responses to remind you about and clarify what you have already said and whether you would like to add any additional information. I hope this helps to clear up my thinking process! However, you could also take someone with you to clarify whether the information you have provided is accurate for you and remind you if there is anything you should add. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask  :)

Sorry but again i have to diagree. The HCP is not there to write what you say word for word so there's no reasonable adjustments to make. They also can't read out how much a person may have socred because the HCP doesn't score them any points, they make recommendations. Only a decision maker can score the points.
  • Tiggy1
    L volunteer yes i was wanting more of a clarification on what i had said not what points i would be awarded, this is a first time claim so i just need a bit of clarity, but as i say i spoke to my support worker and all is sorted now thankyou for all replies 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Tiggy1 - it's good your support worker is hoping to be with you for your assessment; I'm sure that will be helpful.
    @L_Volunteer - not to belabour the point, &, altho I didn't say it (not wanting to say too much at once, & trying to be diplomatic), this wouldn't be considered a reasonable adjustment.
    Can you imagine the logistic problems that would ensue if claimants started doing this? Assessments taking longer; waits for an assessment therefore taking even longer, & the wait for an assessment can be many months already.....
    Btw, Mike has asked not to be tagged; he will answer as & when he can, & where he feels it appropriate.
    Edit: Sorry, Mike, was typing at the same time as yourself.
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi all, 

As always, thanks for supporting each other the best you can. It is always great to see the support within Scope's online community. However, as you have all rightly identified, this is not my area of expertise. All I can do is signpost you to https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/preparing-for-pip-assessment/?_ga=2.13923063.1132981798.1632938220-203648702.1588053496&_gac=1.183304020.1632316046.Cj0KCQjwqKuKBhCxARIsACf4XuEFHRjekAq2KSFp5A2yJFK6MRhLUxkm5Y1dOZ8dxHku7yuUG8trtIEaAskcEALw_wcB which discusses the same information I have shared with you. I wish you the best of luck with this @Tiggy1. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again  :)

• L_Volunteer
    Hi @mikehughescq

Thanks for informing me about this. I will get the link flagged for you. We are always striving to provide the most accurate support we can  :)

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Please feel free to send any feedback you have on the page over to community@scope.org.uk and we can look at passing that onto our content team @Username_removed :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    Hi all! 

Sorry but again i have to diagree. The HCP is not there to write what you say word for word so there's no reasonable adjustments to make. They also can't read out how much a person may have socred because the HCP doesn't score them any points, they make recommendations. Only a decision maker can score the points.
      I have asked for a copy of the report from the assessor and the first thing they say is the report is not for you its for the decision maker, if you want a copy of th report you have to ask them for the report.
      This is why the report written by the assessor is only an opinion.  Since the report when the decision maker uses it has to show ALL supporting evidence they used to come to that decision, including the points given to each descriptor.
      The only problem is the " assessors " are hired by the secretary o state to write a report about you if the decision makersfeels that he does not understand information you have supplied either medical or in support letters about your claim.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.