Hi, my name is Como! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is Como!

Como Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I am 51 year old male.
I receive ESA for my wife and I.
My wife and I are both disabled and in reseat of Pip


  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 782 Pioneering
    Hi @Como I hope you enjoy being part of the Community. If you have any questions please ask. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Como - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I hope you & your wife are keeping well. Please have a look around the forum, & join in with any discussions of interest. You might also like to try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for a chat & some word games. I hope you enjoy being part of the community, & please let us know if you have any questions. :)
  • Como
    Como Member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi, unfortunately my wife and I keep really poor health, this is why we want to live closer to family.

    I have Crowns Disease, Ingina, Bad Mobility
    My wife Dawn has Epilepsy, also non epileptic seizures, chronic Asthma, Even worse mobility than myself plus mental health issues 😒
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 352 Pioneering
    edited September 28
    Hi @Como

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Sorry to hear you and your wife are both experiencing a tough time. Thankfully, I think you both could benefit from Scope's forum since it is a supportive space for people to communicate with other people who may have similar experiences to yourselves. I understand you want to live closer to family. Is this something you feel is possible for you? Also, I am wondering if you have yet contacted your local authority about a needs assessment? They may be able to provide more support for you both to enable you both to live in your home. If this is something you would be interested in but need more guidance with, please just let us know. Similarly, if there is anything else we can do to support you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We are here for you and I am looking forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Como - I'm sorry to read your wife & self have poor health, & understand that living closer to your family may help with supporting you both. As asked above, is this something that will be possible for you? It may depend on whether you own your own home, or not; in the latter case it could prove difficult, & may also depend on where your family live. Do you know if your ESA is income-related, or contribution based? Sorry for the 'ifs.' If your ESA is income-related, & you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, if you move away from your Local Authority then you would need to claim Universal Credit (which replaces income-related ESA & Housing Benefit) if you need help with your rent.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,115

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @Como! I too am sorry to hear that you and your wife are both in poor health at the moment. 

    Has your wife been able to access any mental health support? 

    Please feel free to take a look around and get stuck in. You can ask questions, or just have a chat with friendly people who can relate to what you're going through :) Please give us a shout if you need anything at all. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.