Hi, my name is Como! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Como!

Options
Como
Como Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I am 51 year old male.
I receive ESA for my wife and I.
My wife and I are both disabled and in reseat of Pip

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Como - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I hope you & your wife are keeping well. Please have a look around the forum, & join in with any discussions of interest. You might also like to try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for a chat & some word games. I hope you enjoy being part of the community, & please let us know if you have any questions. :)
  • Como
    Como Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    hi, unfortunately my wife and I keep really poor health, this is why we want to live closer to family.

I have Crowns Disease, Ingina, Bad Mobility
    My wife Dawn has Epilepsy, also non epileptic seizures, chronic Asthma, Even worse mobility than myself plus mental health issues ?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @Como

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Sorry to hear you and your wife are both experiencing a tough time. Thankfully, I think you both could benefit from Scope's forum since it is a supportive space for people to communicate with other people who may have similar experiences to yourselves. I understand you want to live closer to family. Is this something you feel is possible for you? Also, I am wondering if you have yet contacted your local authority about a needs assessment? They may be able to provide more support for you both to enable you both to live in your home. If this is something you would be interested in but need more guidance with, please just let us know. Similarly, if there is anything else we can do to support you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We are here for you and I am looking forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Como - I'm sorry to read your wife & self have poor health, & understand that living closer to your family may help with supporting you both. As asked above, is this something that will be possible for you? It may depend on whether you own your own home, or not; in the latter case it could prove difficult, & may also depend on where your family live. Do you know if your ESA is income-related, or contribution based? Sorry for the 'ifs.' If your ESA is income-related, & you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, if you move away from your Local Authority then you would need to claim Universal Credit (which replaces income-related ESA & Housing Benefit) if you need help with your rent.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Como! I too am sorry to hear that you and your wife are both in poor health at the moment. 

Has your wife been able to access any mental health support? 

Please feel free to take a look around and get stuck in. You can ask questions, or just have a chat with friendly people who can relate to what you're going through :) Please give us a shout if you need anything at all. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness