What Happens to my UC Claim if I move County? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What Happens to my UC Claim if I move County?

mjh2222 Member Posts: 26 Listener

If I was to move from say Cornwall to Birmingham, into a 1 bedroom flat which is the same as what I have now, same self employed working conditions, nothing changes but the address, would my amount change?  Would I need to open a new claim and try to claim LCWRA again?

Or would the current UC claim move around with you regardless of where you move to in the UK?

What about PIP?



  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,746 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    You would simply need to inform UC and PIP of your change of address.
    If you are renting then for UC you would also need to report a change in your housing through your journal and the housing element may change to reflect your changed rent and/or a different Local Housing Allowance rate.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mjh2222
    mjh2222 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    Ok thank you very much.


Need to talk?

Over Christmas the online community might be a little quieter than usual, so if you need urgent emotional support or if you feel like you might be in crisis, please read up about how to stay safe for now and find help.

You can also speak to somebody in confidence by calling Samaritans on 116 123 for free or send an email to
[email protected]

Of course, if you feel like you might be at risk right now, please call 999 or visit your local hospital.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.